Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mechanic passed away - now my service options

Old 01-13-2016, 10:52 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default My mechanic passed away - now my service options

Over the holidays, my friend and proprietor of the shop I used for service/repairs etc. died. Pretty much a shock.
My nearest H-D dealer (Javelina) is about 30 miles away and is not known for quick service work.
I have a 20K service coming up on my 2010 Ultra and pondering my options. As this one is pretty straight forward I can handle it. The 25K has some recommendations like replacing the fuel filter and adjusting and lubricating the steering head bearings that I am not that comfortable doing. Should I expect to pay about $500 for that 25K service or what is the going rate?
Also, as far as maintaining to support my ESP plan is simply changing fluids enough to meet that requirement?

Last edited by hillcountryflt; 01-13-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM
kingmoochr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The fuel filter isn't difficult, it's just a R&R job. Should be no difficulties with a good service manual. I can understand not wanting to necessarily mess with a front end (however following your service manual shouldn't make it that daunting).

I'd just have the shop do the steering head bearings if you're worried about it. Look up the procedure for doing the filter, it really isn't that hard.

You'll have to check on the fine print in your ESP as for what maintains it's validity. In CA, you can't mandate services be performed at the dealer to maintain a warranty, that would be illegal. Don't know the rules in TX.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 440 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by kingmoochr
The fuel filter isn't difficult, it's just a R&R job. Should be no difficulties with a good service manual. I can understand not wanting to necessarily mess with a front end (however following your service manual shouldn't make it that daunting).

I'd just have the shop do the steering head bearings if you're worried about it. Look up the procedure for doing the filter, it really isn't that hard.

You'll have to check on the fine print in your ESP as for what maintains it's validity. In CA, you can't mandate services be performed at the dealer to maintain a warranty, that would be illegal. Don't know the rules in TX.
That's actually federal law. Magnusson-Moss act. The only way that can void your warranty for service related issues is if they can prove that the service, or lack thereof caused the failure. Also, the only way they can put stipulations on warranty being done by the dealer or using a certain product during service is if they provide the service/product at no charge.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Have 2006 Service Manual

Would the service manual from my 2006 Ultra be usable for the fuel filter change out?
Had pretty much planned to let my friend do the maintenance on my bike this time around and did not acquire one for the 2010.
Got my amsoil 20-50 oil and trans lubricant coming anyway.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Also, as far as maintaining to support my ESP plan is simply changing fluids enough to meet that requirement?
Originally Posted by kingmoochr
Originally Posted by penmaker
That's actually federal law. Magnusson-Moss act.
Don't confuse the factory warranty with the ESP plans that are sold.

Magnuson Moss warranty act only applies to the factory warranty.
These extended service plans (ESP's) that are sold are nothing more than insurance plans and not held to the same rules.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 440 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Don't confuse the factory warranty with the ESP plans that are sold.

Magnuson Moss warranty act only applies to the factory warranty.
These extended service plans (ESP's) that are sold are nothing more than insurance plans and not held to the same rules.
I missed the ESP part. You're right. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
03 Fatboy
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I always do my own maintenance, I keep a good record and receipts, I record all maintenance oil change, adjustments, oil levels and any part I put on with mileage.
When I need the dealer to check a warranty issue I take my records with me. I never have a issue with the warranty coverage. I had my rear cylinder top end repair rings and valve seals because of a bad valve seal.
I done the rear at the same time for a real good price.
But a lot depends on how good the dealer is and your relationship with them.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Just like my cars, I don't concern myself with a fuel filter change. I finally did one at 92,000 miles and it wasn't needed even then. These are automotive style injection systems and the same rules apply to Harleys as they do to cars IMO.

(And I can't imagine what would go wrong with the front end at a mere 25,000 miles. Service that when you can.)

Old 01-13-2016, 06:54 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Well I can say I'm doing my 25,000 mile service early at 23,500. I've found my right front wheel bearing bad and my steering head in serious need of adjustment. My final measurement was less than 1" so needless to say, way too loose. I decided to chrome my lowers so I also rebuilt my forks. The oil from my forks looked like muddy water and I found remnants of labels inside my forks from the factory. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I am in Cibolo... I do service work in my garage, inexpensive.

I am not a business, but I have all of the tools, knowledge and equipment.

Currently unemployed and trying to not lose my house, so I'm available 24/7. I am willing to come pick up, with my enclosed trailer if need be...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My mechanic passed away - now my service options