Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock wire routing under the rear fender for a street glide tri bar.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 PM
tgifford5
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wire routing under the rear fender for a street glide tri bar.

I have an '06 EG Classic. I have just converted over to a street glide rear fender and fascia. I see where my new wiring for the tri bar is supposed to plug into the stock wiring on the left side of the bike. My question is does anyone have a pic of the under side of their fender that shows where the tri bar wire routing is suppose to go. And any clips that are to be included. I have found nothing regarding the correct routing. Thanks.

Stock plug that I believe was once used for tour pak lighting. This is where the tri bar plugs into.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

My 09 runs on the outside (left side). There are clips to hold the wiring behind the filler panel section of the tri bar facia.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 PM
tgifford5
Novice

Originally Posted by cncmike
My 09 runs on the outside (left side). There are clips to hold the wiring behind the filler panel section of the tri bar facia.
Is it the same for an 06? Does anyone have a pic they can show where and how it is routed? I just want to make sure so that I don't get any wiring caught up or rubbing on the tire.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 PM
tgifford5
Novice

Does Harley have an actual assembly manual that shows the routing.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:09 AM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I added the street glide fascia to my road king fender. You can see the little clips right next to the bolt holes in the fascia, the wiring will run up the outside of the fender. Not sure where it goes from there though....

Attached Thumbnails Stock wire routing under the rear fender for a street glide tri bar.-20150809_124346.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

The dealer has an adhesive back rubber channel the wire can run through and "stick" to the inner fender. Might have to have them look in the 14 up books. That is what I did because I didn't have clips to secrure the harness. It is a round channel that you are "supposed" to run the wires through before you put the molex connectors on. I had to slice the channel lengthwise near the adhesive, opened it up, pushed the wire into it, then cleaned the inner fender with alcohol and adhered it to the left side.

One side note. I had to get a streetglide harness to replace the roadking harness as they were different.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM
tgifford5
Novice

Originally Posted by Magnut1
The dealer has an adhesive back rubber channel the wire can run through and "stick" to the inner fender. Might have to have them look in the 14 up books. That is what I did because I didn't have clips to secrure the harness. It is a round channel that you are "supposed" to run the wires through before you put the molex connectors on. I had to slice the channel lengthwise near the adhesive, opened it up, pushed the wire into it, then cleaned the inner fender with alcohol and adhered it to the left side.

One side note. I had to get a streetglide harness to replace the roadking harness as they were different.

I had seen that adhesive tube and got that part number off a HD micro physch. I think it would be a cleaner look doing it that way. It's using the same sticky tube as what is used for the stock rear wiring that runs along the inner fender right top side. I just want to get it right so I don't have problems down the road.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:09 PM
tgifford5
Novice

Originally Posted by RistoRap
I added the street glide fascia to my road king fender. You can see the little clips right next to the bolt holes in the fascia, the wiring will run up the outside of the fender. Not sure where it goes from there though....
It runs up to the plug in my second pic.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

An '09 fender is completely different than an '06 fender including the wiring. On an '06 it will run along the top right side inside. You can see the channel on the fender you have pictured. Its why on an '08 and older you have to be careful on oversized tires or using shock lowering brackets as the tire can easily get into that wire housing and tear up the wiring.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:46 PM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Tgifford5,

I replied to your message, but thought I'd post this as well.

The Tri Bar light wiring runs up the outside of the fender on the left side of the bike. It is clipped into the fascia and runs up towards the top of the shock and along the chrome piece and frame ending up under the seat.

I have edited your pics to show the tri bar light routing as per the service manual. Inside the left side of the fascia (outside the fender) there should be clips for the wiring - if not you can buy wiring clips shown in one of the attachments at any hardware store. Just attach the clips using the studs that attach the fascia to the fender. (Note: there are no studs on the pic of my fascia as mine is attached with only double sided tape.) And you don't see my wiring as I routed mine to the taillight and attached it there - I did not know there was an existing plug under the seat......

Let me know if you have any more questions of pics.

Attached Thumbnails Stock wire routing under the rear fender for a street glide tri bar.-tri-bar-wiring-1.jpg   Stock wire routing under the rear fender for a street glide tri bar.-tri-bar-wiring-2.jpg   Stock wire routing under the rear fender for a street glide tri bar.-tri-bar-wiring-3.jpg   Stock wire routing under the rear fender for a street glide tri bar.-tri-bar-wiring-clip.jpg  

Last edited by RistoRap; 01-20-2016 at 04:00 PM.