Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Sprocket removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Sprocket removal

Does the inner primary bearing race have to come off the mainshaft to remove the sprocket? or will the sprocket slide over the race, after i get the nut off?

the bike is an 09 ultra

Thanks.

Last edited by Gordon65; 01-19-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:01 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Did mine a year ago, don't remember having to pull the race sprocket slid right over it.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Gordon65
Tourer

Originally Posted by azlou66
Did mine a year ago, don't remember having to pull the race sprocket slid right over it.
thanks...that's a bit of good news...don't have the tool to remove the race.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just did mine tonight. The sprocket comes off right over the race. You can't remove the sprocket unless you have a super deep socket. You will have to remove the race if you want to change the seal.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 AM
Gordon65
Tourer

Originally Posted by sn95bullitt
Just did mine tonight. The sprocket comes off right over the race. You can't remove the sprocket unless you have a super deep socket. You will have to remove the race if you want to change the seal.

crap.....indeed, changing the seals is the reason i am trying to pull the sprocket. I think i will try cutting off the race and going to the Baker bearing that replaces the current inner primary bearing and race...anybody know the part number for this? Baker's website doesn't list it for bikes newer than 2007.

sn95bullitt - how did you get the sprocket nut off? I've been trying for two days now, no success so far. I have the special socket, been trying with a 4 ft pipe slipped over a 1/2 breaker bar. i did apply some heat, but maybe not enough yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gordon65; 01-20-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:35 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
crap.....indeed, changing the seals is the reason i am trying to pull the sprocket. I think i will try cutting off the race and going to the Baker bearing that replaces the current inner primary bearing and race...anybody know the part number for this? Baker's website doesn't list it for bikes newer than 2007. sn95bullitt - how did you get the sprocket nut off? I've been trying for two days now, no success so far. I have the special socket, been trying with a 4 ft pipe slipped over a 1/2 breaker bar. i did apply some heat, but maybe not enough yet. Thanks!
Gordon PM Eunoterpsia about the inner primary bearing. He went with the Rivera Primo one piece.
For the race, if you don't have a puller, cut almost all the way through it then hit it with a punch. Shouldn't take much to get it to crack open so you can slide it off.
For the trans sprocket nut, if you can't break it with brute force, drill a hole into the nut and use a punch on it as well. I have found that holding pressure against the pry bar and giving a good hard yank breaks that nut loose easier than a constant hard tug.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Wilee
Advanced

crap.....indeed, changing the seals is the reason i am trying to pull the sprocket. I think i will try cutting off the race and going to the Baker bearing that replaces the current inner primary bearing and race...anybody know the part number for this? Baker's website doesn't list it for bikes newer than 2007.

sn95bullitt - how did you get the sprocket nut off? I've been trying for two days now, no success so far. I have the special socket, been trying with a 4 ft pipe slipped over a 1/2 breaker bar. i did apply some heat, but maybe not enough yet.

Thanks!
Did my tranny last year. Heat that sprocket nut till it smokes. That is some mean Loctite on it!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The sprocket is right hand off. I used a impact gun.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Gordon65
Tourer

Originally Posted by sn95bullitt
The sprocket is right hand off. I used a impact gun.
thanks...do you recall what your gun is rated for torque? I can get my hands on an impact wrench rated at 450...not sure that is enough though...

Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

thanks...do you recall what your gun is rated for torque? I can get my hands on an impact wrench rated at 450...not sure that is enough though...
It's your bike so do as you wish but an impact is not recommended at all. I've seen it done that way but I'd drill it and replace the nut before I'd use an impact.

Quick Reply: Transmission Sprocket removal