Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Daytona have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:42 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Tell your dealer buddies to quit being haters becouse there not going to bikeweek! I e never had a problem to speak of but I always manage to find a car wash.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:49 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Just the bare edges of the fins on the jugs got corroded on my ride. I'm using a sponge brush with Gibbs on it to avoid it this year and I'm staying on A1A across from the ocean. As said " wash before leaving"

Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

I live right on the Atlantic Ocean. Ask your dealer to share some of his stash. Its good stuff !!

Old 02-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

To the OP

We all paid for our motorcycles so I won't try and tell you what to do with yours. However, in my opinion anybody who told you that the salt air is gonna to do damage to your bike in Daytona is full of it. I ride to Daytona from Ohio with snow and salt on the road. I don't wash my bike when I get there and I ride on the beach as well. Heck, I don't wash my bike until I return to Ohio.

Has it got some rust and corrosion here and there? Yep, but I'm not horrified when I see it, I smile and remember how it got there. That motorcycle is nothing but a vehicle that transports me to a place of happiness; the road. I care for it but I will absolutely use it up in the pursuit of getting down the road. When it's had it (and motorcycles can take a lot despite what people say) I'll buy another. If I'm short on funds I'll buy a used garage queen, if I'm shorter on funds than that I'll buy a Chinese scooter and bungee a milk crate on the back. It ain't the bike; it's the experience.

I've had a lot of motorcycles; some I've even forgotten about. But, I remember the experiences very vividly. One day I'm gonna die and somebody else is gonna ride my motorcycles and bed my woman. I'm here to make sure they're well used before he gets them

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-07-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:25 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

riding on the beach or A1A when the wind is coming off the ocean isn't good , wash it the best that you can . i have been living winters in Daytona for the last 3 years and i can see what it is doing to my bike

Old 02-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Nothing to add.

The video must be a few years old. Check out the gas prices @ 0:54 seconds.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:56 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Surely its not beyond comprehension to intuitively understand there's a difference between simply being in a coastal area and actually riding through salt water surf or coastal spindrift.

If not, then by all means stay away from coastal areas or springtime riding in regions far enough north to require salting of roads during winter. You'll still have Northern Texas .

Old 02-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,309 Likes on 5,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I've had a lot of motorcycles; some I've even forgotten about. But, I remember the experiences very vividly. One day I'm gonna die and somebody else is gonna ride my motorcycles and bed my woman. I'm here to make sure they're well used before he gets them
I like your style man...

Old 02-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Mikey_P
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are still concerned they make a product called Salt A Way. We used it on our jetski's. You can pick it up down here. it comes with a hose attachment and works great.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 AM
SiggerTX
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Those bikini bike washes are the reason I own an Ultra. It takes a lot longer to wash and they get into some interesting positions to reach everything ;-)

Quick Reply: Going to Daytona have a couple questions