Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker shafts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
greggmig
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rocker shafts

Anyone know where I can get shims for the rocker shafts I already bought the rocker locks, shafts are tight but my rockers have end play on the shafts.
Gregg

Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 AM
greggmig
Cruiser

I bought the rockouts on Amazon I think that's what they were called.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Supposedly Shovelhead shims work, but no idea where to get them. Fog Hollow near St. Louis used to be a big time older Harley parts source, maybe they have them.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM
kyle8095
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i have read in the past was people were using shims from a shovel head engine. im trying to figure out an automotive shim for mine same engine kit you have 103 stage 4 kit noisy as all hell. when i find a thick enough shim i will put the plates on a mill and machine them down. to make sure i do not use to small of a shim. and replace rockers with rollers to reduce valve train noise / ware. i did replace the rocker arm bushings with new ones cheaper then replacing the rockers when i did my engine.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Usually, since the as build tolerance is pretty large, it hurts little to have them run with a few more .001. I would not think it would be wise to run any shim in there under .020. You do not want it wearing and coming out of there. As much end clearance as they run, it would appear they run to one side and stay there since with hydraulic lifters, there is always tension on them. Someone did write he was shimming but never got back.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:06 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

FWIW I've played quite a bit with end shimming & had very little change in noise. Research I've done reading various forums around the net shows the vast majority of others have found the same.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:25 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Eastern Performance stocks the shims in different sizes. Shim on the non pressure side of the rocker arm end.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Throwing deck chairs off the Titanic....

Foam earplugs.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
Shim on the non pressure side of the rocker arm end.
With the push-rod on one side and the valve stem on the other, just how do you determine this on a TC? I went back in my older manual and never did find this. One thing I did discover interesting is the Panhead had the hydraulic lifter in the push-rod. The old Knuckle had shims . It also only ran .007-.016 clearance in the rocker. (Lot less then the TCs) The shims are on the push-rod side for the Knuckle and fit into a pocket. Still looking for the OEM call out for the shim spread in my old part manuals. Was never able to find it yet. Interesting but back in the good old days with the 3 piece crank, you could actually buy the small roller pins in .0002 over up to .001 over and a undersized .0002 ones no less. Off to Yoga for now or RIP is going to disown me.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-10-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 AM
greggmig
Cruiser

I measured the clearance its .015 on three of them and .013 on one. They make a lot of noise just apart rocking it in hand.

Quick Reply: rocker shafts