Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 5 is here

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Wow, talk about raining on ones parade. Thanks for the heads up fellas. I think I will go kick my dog now.

randy

I have had 2 PC 5's in two bikes for many years. Canned maps from Fuel Moto and my bikes run like tops. Never any issues. What you sometimes hear is only about those with one problem or another and even some of those are likely not the PCV at all. There are a lot out there with nary an issue. Install that bad boy and enjoy the way the bike runs.... My .02

Last edited by Rickr01; 02-10-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

I've seen first hand 2 different people bashing pcv both times turned out to be problems with the bike not the pcv.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:19 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

These twin cam, fuel injected Harleys are totally new to me. I build and ride ironhead sportsters and shovelheads and am leery about getting in too deep when it comes to all this efi stuff. So I guess maybe I panicked a little when I started reading all the posts about why PCv's weren't that good especially after spending some serious coin up here in Canada for this device (ie. $600). I guess logic dictates, if they were junk everyone would NOT have one so to speak. To ask from my original post, will I notice much of a difference over the original canned ecm flash that was done when the bike was new and went to stage 1? The original owner spent almost $300 having it flashed from some 5-pack kit. I have a stage one 88a, with kerker slipons and fishtails. The map PCV recommend was for Screaming Eagle slipons and stage 1 breather.

randy

Last edited by cajun1957a; 02-11-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 AM
BigJ37
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine installed on my 2008 FLHX. the only problems I had from the beginning turned out to be my fault with heavy breather install. My bike runs amazing now that I've got it figured out and Jamie at fuel Moto is awesome help

Old 02-11-2016, 11:45 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default PCIII on 2006 Ultra--never a problem

Any component can fail after a reasonable period of time. I have never experienced anything other than perfect operation on a 2006 machine. True, I don't have many miles on the Ultra and perhaps that matters but I doubt it. I believe other components or installation issues are responsible for what I will call premature failures.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

2 degrees F. up here today in Ontario Canada and totally bored, so I decided to install the PCV. Regardless of what people think of this device, I physically had it installed in 11 minutes flat. The Dealership where I purchased it (ie. Dukes Harley Davidson) had already downloaded and installed the proper map from Dynojet for me. The bike started right up and without even getting it hot I blipped the throttle a few times and I can see how responsive it is already by how it revs. Finding a dyno up here in Southwestern Ontario this time of year will be quite difficult as there are none really around where I am, but I sure would like to know what kind of torque this bike has now. Can anyone estimate that for me? I know stock its approx. 86 ft. lbs at 3500 rpm.

Cant wait to hit the road but that's going to be quite a few weeks yet.

randy
2003 Road King Classic Anniversary
SE Breather
Kerker 3.5" slipons with Fishtail tips
Stage 1 flash.
Power Commander 5

Last edited by cajun1957a; 02-13-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:04 PM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice glad it all worked out for you.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Good Luck, I have had PC III's in my 03, went thru 2 of them, nothing but problems, I found the company support to be less than poor ( oh we can't fix it but we will sell you a PC5 )... that turned me off to that company.

I run newer style stock head pipes on my 03, so I have the O2 bungs, and there is a brand new Thundermax sitting on the kitchen table that arrived today... all I need is some warm weather to get it installed, along with the pile of parts for the 13 Ultra I have amassed over the winter.

I have had a thundermax in my 03 before (loaner from a friend) and the bike ran fantastic, much better than I could ever get it to run with the PCIII.

Are you going to run closed loop?

I paid 675 for the Thundermax, and a pc5 with the 02 sensors and module to go closed loop FI is about the same amount... and I won't have all sorts of add on modules trying to fool my stock ECM into doing something it was never meant to do.

My target a/f ratio is 13:1, that should cool it off..... and take advantage of the Andrews 509 gear drives that are in the cam chest
I have the PCV. Only for one year. But what I can say, is, as soon as I hooked it up, the bike was more responsive than ever. Plus, I can adjust the timing and fuel mixture as I desire. I had the bike dyno tuned last summer after I had cams installed and it ran real rich. Took a couple percent off where Gil had it rich. Zero issues and almost back to the MPG I had before I got the cams.....
OK. I need to go find a piece of wood to knock on.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I have had 2 PC 5's in two bikes for many years. Canned maps from Fuel Moto and my bikes run like tops. Never any issues. What you sometimes hear is only about those with one problem or another and even some of those are likely not the PCV at all. There are a lot out there with nary an issue. Install that bad boy and enjoy the way the bike runs.... My .02
When I hurt my back years ago, I tried selling stuff for a living. I learned of the 2-12 rule. Translation: When you are happy, you may tell 2 people. When you are dissatisfied, you will tell 12 (the world).
Nothing is perfect. Nothing. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

My PCV from Fuel Moto with map loaded by them, ran flawless for over two years on my '09 Road King. When I totaled it in a crash with Bambi, it was the one thing I salvaged from the bike. I sold it to a friend, who called Fuel Moto, got a new map for his '08 Ultra & it's running like a champ. I plan on ordering the Power Vision from them soon. Just my .02.

Quick Reply: Power Commander 5 is here