Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Box Questions (96ci)

Old 02-10-2016, 12:27 AM
TF3N
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Box Questions (96ci)

I'm about to remove my rocker boxes for powdercoating and have a few questions. I've read multiple threads and watched a very informative video on YouTube but I still need a little clarification.

Q. As I understand it, I have to find TDC for one cylinder at a time in order to remove the Rocker assembly safely. After I repeat this step for the second cylinder, the first one will be out of alignment again. How do I reinstall the assemblies without damaging anything?

Also, I'm performing the work in my shed. It has plywood walls/floors and gets quite dusty. Other than covering the exposed areas(rockers, primary, cam area, tranny) with a garbage bag and painters tape as soon as I've removed the covers, is there anything else I should be doing to prevent damage from the dust?

Old 02-10-2016, 02:02 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for a light garden tent or shade canopy that can cover a picnic table. Most come with transparent walls.

Last edited by Expat1; 02-10-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 AM
Olie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would highly recommend getting the service manual. It walks you through removal, inspection and assembly for the rocker boxes. What year and bike do you have? I might be able to send you a digital copy.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:12 AM
TF3N
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Olie
I would highly recommend getting the service manual. It walks you through removal, inspection and assembly for the rocker boxes. What year and bike do you have? I might be able to send you a digital copy.
Thanks for the offer but I already bought a digital copy. I've read the section on top end assembly (where the rocker assembly is highlighted) and while the service manual is very helpful, there isn't a section outlining just the removal of the Rocker boxes, so it'll have you removing pushrods and other crap that's not necessary for this job.

I'm still unsure of what to do after going from one cylinder to the other and any damage that may be caused. So I'm just hoping for someone with first-hand experience to chime in and clarify that one part of the process for me.

Thanks again.

Last edited by TF3N; 02-10-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:54 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

The only thing that's important is making sure the cams are on the base circles which is easy to do.

Elevate the rear wheel after you have the rocker cover off.

Turn the rear wheel in 5th or 6th gear (top) until the rocker arms in either the front or rear cylinders are both down. You'll see them move up and down, if you go too far you can move the wheel in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter which one you do first.

Unbolt/remove the rocker assembly and the breather system. Mark which cylinder it came from (front or rear)

Remove lower rocker box and repeat for other cylinder.

Cover everything with plastic and seal with tape until install.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-10-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:59 AM
TF3N
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
The only thing that's important is making sure the cams are on the base circles which is easy to do.

Elevate the rear wheel after you have the rocker cover off.

Turn the rear wheel in 5th or 6th gear (top) until the rocker arms in either the front or rear cylinders are both down. You'll see them move up and down, if you go too far you can move the wheel in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter which one you do first.

Unbolt/remove the rocker assembly and the breather system.

Remove lower rocker box and repeat for other cylinder.

Cover everything with plastic and seal with tape until install.
Hey man.

Thanks for the detailed response.

What about the reinstallation? Do I have to get back to TDC when bolting the rocker assembly back or will it just go back together without any fuss?

Last edited by TF3N; 02-10-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Forget about the TDC thing brother. As long as the push rods are on base circle of the cams for that cylinder it doesn't matter. You'll see the pushrods (when you re-install) rise and fall. Put the rocker assembly on (after installing the lower rocker box) and evenly cinch down the bolts making sure the pushrods are up in the cups of the rocker arms.

Torque to spec, install breather assembly and move on to the other cylinder. One thing I forgot to mention. Remove the spark plugs before trying to turn the rear wheel, it makes it a whole lot easier. And before you remove the spark plugs, blow compressed air around them first so nothing falls in the cylinders.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-10-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:40 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

When I powdercoated my rocker boxes I did the lifter plates and push rod tube connectors at the same time since the push rods are out.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:07 PM
TF3N
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Forget about the TDC thing brother. As long as the push rods are on base circle of the cams for that cylinder it doesn't matter. You'll see the pushrods (when you re-install) rise and fall. Put the rocker assembly on (after installing the lower rocker box) and evenly cinch down the bolts making sure the pushrods are up in the cups of the rocker arms.

Torque to spec, install breather assembly and move on to the other cylinder. One thing I forgot to mention. Remove the spark plugs before trying to turn the rear wheel, it makes it a whole lot easier. And before you remove the spark plugs, blow compressed air around them first so nothing falls in the cylinders.
Thanks for that, man. I'm good to go.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:09 PM
TF3N
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sn95bullitt
When I powdercoated my rocker boxes I did the lifter plates and push rod tube connectors at the same time since the push rods are out.

Looks pretty good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rocker Box Questions (96ci)