Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Plug: 2005 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,647 Likes on 4,633 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind

This is why the FAA is very careful about who they allow to even get near an airplane with a wrench.
I think airplanes are a different story. But do their mechanics torque every bolt? most likely not. I am sure for the engine stuff and important things, flaps, ect. but toilet bolts? I don't even know what tightened down by bolts in an airplane. But not everything needs to be torqued. everything needs to be tightened.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I think airplanes are a different story. But do their mechanics torque every bolt? most likely not. I am sure for the engine stuff and important things, flaps, ect. but toilet bolts? I don't even know what tightened down by bolts in an airplane. But not everything needs to be torqued. everything needs to be tightened.
A great many things are held with fasteners that require no specific torque - they stay with some kind of aviation magic. LOL. But, during my days as an engine mech (Intermediate level - we tore them down and built them, and ran them on the test cell), we used a torque wrench for EVERYTHING! LOL!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

A great many things are held with fasteners that require no specific torque - they stay with some kind of aviation magic. LOL. But, during my days as an engine mech (Intermediate level - we tore them down and built them, and ran them on the test cell), we used a torque wrench for EVERYTHING! LOL!
And those torque wrenches were calibrated on a regular basis.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:16 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Originally Posted by 47Norton
And those torque wrenches were calibrated on a regular basis.
Yes, Sir! Hell, our records were so good that we could tell you who installed the fuel pump 2 years ago, at what time, and with which toolbox. AND who VERIFIED the torque and signed it off! LOL!

I guess that's why they don't fail very often!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

Years ago, I was the same. What I can't recall is if we used a torque wrench on the wiring clamps. I suspect we did, but I don't recall for certain. Do you?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Years ago, I was the same. What I can't recall is if we used a torque wrench on the wiring clamps. I suspect we did, but I don't recall for certain. Do you?
On the main harness on the engine? I know on the T-64, there was a torque spec on the clamps. Wasn't much, though.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:21 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Wait a minute, think about it.
They strip going in. I am yet to hear of one that went in correctly, then strip when coming out.
That Dealer is deserving of the "Gnarly Eye".
Present receipts showing the work, and ask "You going to fix it?" followed by silence.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:00 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

On the main harness on the engine? I know on the T-64, there was a torque spec on the clamps. Wasn't much, though.
Yea, main engine harness clamps. They just had to be held securely enough to not move around and had the locking nuts anyhow, so they weren't falling off. Figured we couldn't have just run them down until snug, but durned if I can remember for sure using a little torque wrench on them.

TF34 in the A-10 is what I worked on. But that was over 20 years ago now.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:20 PM
rk1997
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To me I would have a hard time believing a simple over tightening of that plug could strip out the threads. Man that would be hard to do wouldn't it? I probably couldn't. I'm too old and weak. lol

I also find it hard to believe it wasn't leaking....

Just my $0.02.
Good luck man

Last edited by rk1997; 02-11-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rk1997
To me I would have a hard time believing a simple over tightening of that plug could strip out the threads. Man that would be hard to do wouldn't it? I probably couldn't. I'm too old and weak. lol

I also find it hard to believe it wasn't leaking....

Just my $0.02.
Good luck man
Its actually pretty easy to strip it, I've seen more than one thread dealing with a stripped oil pan plug.

Quick Reply: Oil Plug: 2005 Road King