Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handle bar woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 PM
pitbulllimited
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default handle bar woes

I have a 2010 flhtk. went with 12" kst bars and picked up the magnum shielding wire extension kit from local dealer. I fought and cussed and screamed and could not get the wires through. I damaged the little green connector and bought the CVO throttle from dealer. I sent my bars and wires to a local indy shop to get run through and have the connectors re pinned. Now I'm looking at everything and I think I'm screwed. He cut the correct pins off the NEW CVO throttle sensor and heat shrunk the pins on that fit the green connector and reused it with heat shrink to hold it together. It pulled out with the first slight tug. My question is do I have to buy another new CVO potentiometer and re run the wires? I have some pins that look like they would fit the correct plug. How sensitive to change in wire length is the sensor? Can I cut the wrong stuff off and connect the correct ones. The indy shop I took it to is a owner/operator who went for back surgery the day after I picked up my bars, so taking it back to him for the next few weeks is out of the question. He was a decent guy and seemed knowledgeable, so I don't want to be too much of a dick about getting it all fixed up. But I want my bike back together. I'm sure he would make it right if he physically could. Thanks, pitbull

Old 02-11-2016, 02:16 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

When I did my bars I tied a nut to a shoe lace and used the air compressor to blow it through the bars. Then hook the wires to the lace and push the wires and pull the lace back slowly.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

To answer your question, yes you can cut, replace, and solder whatever length you need to to fix it. Key thing to remember when wiring bars is to push first and only pull hard enough to take up the slack that you've pushed in. If your pulling hard you'll cut the sheath on the wires or worse yet cut them into. I've done at least 6 sets of these same bars. Just take your time and be patient.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:39 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Agree you can resplice. Did you get the 1" or 1 1/4" bars?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:02 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I made my own extension and it worked fine I have the kst mayhem bagger bars in 14"

Old 02-11-2016, 09:21 AM
pitbulllimited
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. I went with the 1 1/4 bars 12". The wires are already run through. Does anyone have a pin out of the black 6 pin connector that plugs into the bike? Need the wire colors too. Will resplice the wires tonight. I'm glad I can change the length of those wires without messing it up. Thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Also off set your splices. Not have them all in the same spot.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I believe this is what your looking for. Pay very close attention to the orientation of the plug.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:33 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
Agree you can resplice. Did you get the 1" or 1 1/4" bars?

ID will be the same

Old 02-11-2016, 11:37 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbulllimited
The indy shop I took it to is a owner/operator who went for back surgery the day after I picked up my bars, so taking it back to him for the next few weeks is out of the question. He was a decent guy and seemed knowledgeable, so I don't want to be too much of a dick about getting it all fixed up. But I want my bike back together. I'm sure he would make it right if he physically could. Thanks, pitbull
I often find it interesting (Me included) We have someone screw up a job and then WE feel like a 'Dick' when we question their screw up... From what you said - sounds like he was not all 'Knowledgeable'

Good luck with your 'fix' to bad you now have to re-do what you paid him for

Quick Reply: handle bar woes