Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving the front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Just upgraded my 2013 Roadglide to the Progressive Monotubes and I am very happy with the result. The front doesn't dive down hard when hitting the brakes anymore and the bike feels more planted. We do the standard height for $298 to forum members so for the price Progressive can't be beat IMHO.

Rob

Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts

I wonder why Legends didnt do an external adjuster instead on internal for their front? Would have been nice to be able to make changes on the fly if you go solo or not.

What happens if you set the front to solo and all of a sudden you want to ride 2 up? Does that mean you have to take out the internals and adjust it again?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts

I wonder why Legends didnt do an external adjuster instead on internal for their front? Would have been nice to be able to make changes on the fly if you go solo or not.

What happens if you set the front to solo and all of a sudden you want to ride 2 up? Does that mean you have to take out the internals and adjust it again?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:37 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb

My weight is 235, my wife 130. Set my Legend AXEO front end at 400lbs. Works great, even solo.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:46 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb

Ohlins is adjustable externally. If you have a dresser the adjustments aren't quick but easier than taking the whole thing back apart. External adjustment front or rear is the way to go.

The front end is not as effected by a passenger as the rear is due to where the weight gets placed on a touring harley. The overall weight and riding style should weigh in on how it's set up.

I have monotubes in one of my road kings. They are what they are. A good improvement for the $ spent. The difference over the stock front is dramatic if you don't over do the preload (clips) .

Ohlins are going in the other bike for the reasons mentioned. For a little more from the others in terms of the next step in the front end it's worth it to me to have the best.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

Who has done this himself? How long does it take? Any issues to keep in mind? I would think you wouldn't want to take the forks apart without replacing the seals. . . maybe the bushings too. (my Electra Glide has 30,000 miles)
No matter what fork kit you buy the process is the same. Doesn't look too bad but here's the process:

Old 02-13-2016, 08:28 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Who has done this himself? How long does it take? Any issues to keep in mind? I would think you wouldn't want to take the forks apart without replacing the seals. . . maybe the bushings too. (my Electra Glide has 30,000 miles)
No matter what fork kit you buy the process is the same. Doesn't look too bad but here's the process:
Progressive Suspension Monotube Fork Cartridge Kit on HD Touring Models - YouTube
It's not that bad..pretty easy.i didn't replace the seals,only has 11,000 on the clock,but it is better to replace seals,bushings,clean fork tubes really well.this is where I am at.going to install the legend tubes this afternoon.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I only took the guy in the video 6 minutes to do it, how hard could it be?

Old 02-13-2016, 09:56 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,296 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Had the Prog. Monotubes installed with two clips on the Road Glide Ultra. The RGU is primarily a two up bike for us. Rode from Holland to York, front suspension was a improvement over what we had (stock) on the Blue Ridge Parkway road trip two years ago. Two clips is stiff with one up but you'll get used to that. No nose dives when doing a hard stop.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

All these aftermarket options are more firm than the OEM forks. Firm suspension will give better handling. As they say in this video 80% of the handling comes from the front suspension and the 80% of the plush ride comes from the rear. A firm front and a soft rear suspension is a good combination. You sit just in front of the rear wheel.

Quick Reply: Improving the front suspension