Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving the front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:04 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,431 Likes on 21,387 Posts

Ahh yes the Bi-monthly front end improvement thread.
Mono tubes here still for the past going on 4+years.
Content with them

Old 02-13-2016, 11:05 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
All these aftermarket options are more firm than the OEM forks. Firm suspension will give better handling. As they say in this video 80% of the handling comes from the front suspension and the 80% of the plush ride comes from the rear. A firm front and a soft rear suspension is a good combination. You sit just in front of the rear wheel.
That is basically what i was saying about getting the front set and varing the rear for load variations. The front being firm will change the way the bike feels when turing into a corner. It becomes much more precise.

I changed out all the seals when installing them. I am just running one clip in mine.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

All these options work differently than OEM forks. I didn't realize it until I watched this video:
Starting after about 2:50 he's saying the weight of the oil you add to these forks doesn't matter. I was almost ready to disagree with him. I've rebuilt forks on sport bikes and the weight of the oil going through the valves makes a big difference on dampening. But Progressive Suspension and I think all the options at the beginning of this thread use a dampener in the top of the forks that is enclosed with the oil and nitrogen separate from the oil in the bottom of the fork.
Interesting and different.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

The monotube solution worked for me. Originally wanted Ohlins in the front but dealer did 20% off parts and 50% off labor during winter storage. Might not be the best but I'm happy with both price and performance.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

What? No feedback from anyone that put Ohlins up front?
I think I've made up my mind. I think I'll be going with Progressive Suspension. I don't really see why I should spend more.
Now where to spend my money? I may go to RevZilla for $360. I don't think I need support. If so I'll call up Progressive. Is there a better deal out there?

Last edited by Durango Dave; 02-13-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Monotubes here too, great improvement. You have to get the # of clips right, or it can be a problem. Before I installed I read a ton of posts. I'm 180 and 1 clip (despite the instructions which say 2) is perfect.

I'm always fascinated by the posts decrying "flimsy" front forks. I have a '13, so I guess that qualifies as having flimsy front forks. I dont know what yall are doing on your bikes, but I've never had a problem with the rigidity (or lack) of the front forks. I suppose if I had a chance to ride a '14+ bike I would have an "I was blind and now I can see" moment, but I'm perfectly happy with my setup. Maybe its more apparent with heavier riders?

I'm just an old guy chugging down the 2-lanes at 60mph, on what my wife refers to as a "loud couch", so what do I know?
Really, the main time the "flimsy" forks cause a problem is during aggressive riding. Prior to the Street Glide, I rode high power sport bikes. My riding style is probably more aggressive than most. It's when you press it, bumpy sweeping higher speed turns where the weakness of the front end rears it's head. We all have our respective philosophy, styles, skill levels and methods on riding our bikes. Given the impact on Harley with now having to be competitive with other American bikes that handle extremely well (Victory and Indian), they improved this deficiency on their 14+ bikes. Even when riding modestly, I noticed an improvement in stability with rain grooves and cross winds since I added the fork brace.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,552 Posts

I did the LEGEND AXEO about a month ago.
The weight table stated;
0 revolutions for 150 - 249 lbs
4 revolutions for 250 - 349 lbs
8 revolutions for 350 - 449 lbs

I weigh 180 and my 2 - up total with loaded tour pack should never be more that 350, but since I can ride aggressively at times I set mine @ 5 revolutions.

While riding solo I have more road feel, however the cornering and gliding over bumps is a tremendous improvement, as well a greatly reduced front end dive.

I am also running the Revo-As's on the rear.
Today I did my first 2-up ride since the upgrade. Didn't make any adjustments for the first 100 miles -very nice Front & Rear. Going back I increased the Rebound Dampening 1 level. On the way home I actually had an old man move in front of me and the Semi-Panic braking was no problems (other than my wife on my back - that's how hard I hit the brakes) handled fine. After getting home I asked which ride was smoother going or coming back and she said the return trip.

Bottom line I made 1 simple rear adjustment and both front and rear performed perfectly and I'll probably leave it there and do some solo riding to see if I even need to bother changing it back and forth.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:22 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
I may go to RevZilla for $360. I don't think I need support. If so I'll call up Progressive. Is there a better deal out there?
Hog Pro is a forum sponsor... May want to give him a shout and see what they can offer. I have ordered a ton of stuff from revzilla over the years as well. I just try to go the sponsor route if the price is close.

The following users liked this post:
Durango Dave (08-11-2020)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I got the new-for-2015 Progressive Monotube and cartridge kit; it's a world of difference. I opted for Legends Revo-A's in back. No complaints at all. Completely different bike.

Whether you do it yourself or have a dealer do it, if you want to change your front end, black it out maybe, or add some fanciness to the forks, do it then, you'll just pay for the parts. Labor there is all the same.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:51 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Onedef1
I got the new-for-2015 Progressive Monotube and cartridge kit; it's a world of difference.

Quick Reply: Improving the front suspension