Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Fairing: Comfort & Buffeting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:22 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Road Glide Fairing: Comfort & Buffeting?

Hello Folks, an elder friend of mine recently sold his big bagger and bought a lighter Dyna Fat Bob. I recently found the Cycle Vision Mounts that will enable us to mount a Road Glide Fairing to his Fat Bob.

They look like they would offer great protection from the elements, but I'd like to hear some opinions?

Also, how are the in regard to buffeting?

He's currently running a Memphis Shades windshield and no matter how we adjust it, the buffeting is a bit much. So we're just going for a cooler look and a more functional wind breaker.

Many thanks for any opinions

Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I've had RK,EG and RG. I like RG best.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

After I bought my RG Ultra I took the black wind deflectors off, they go beneath the fairing on the lower fairing bar. Well the buffeting I didn't have while I had them installed showed it's ugly head and the deflectors went back on. For me, buffeting on my '13 RGU is a non-issue. Very comfortable at all speeds and most cross winds.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:45 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

On the roadglide most of the turbulent air seems to come from underneath. It's easily manageable, but could take some trial and error. Not sure how it would affect turbulence on a fat bob.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:17 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Windshields

The RG fairing is very stable even in cross winds. The little plastic wind deflectors help the wind coming from the bottom, under the fairing and back to the rider. The buffeting can either come from the windshield or your helmet. I have a Cee Bailey 14" and with a half helmet there is no buffeting at all. If I wear a 3/4 with a visor, it buffets me at high speed. Sometimes it is a combination problem too.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Lowers and the engine guard wind deflectors have a huge affect. With these, all good. Those, and a Madstad, I can smoke a cigar at 60mph, no problem.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

putting it on a different bike will have totally different results, u won't know what your going to get by asking ,only by doing.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:19 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Great information guys, many thanks for that. Good suggestion on helmet issues as well. I never really thought of that. If buffeting turns out to be too much for him we'll try the lowers.

I do understand that we can expect different results on a Fat Bob vs a Road Glide. But I thought I'd at least ask how they do on the Road Glide. If it sucks on a Road Glide, it would probably suck on the Dyna as well.

But based on the information posted here, we'll certainly give it a shot! It's a sure are good looking fairing!

Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:14 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

You want to do a search here or in the Rushmore section using the word "buffeting".
I don't know if it translates to a different chassis but touring bikes benefit (less buffeting) using the correct height re-curve windshield and fork mounted wind deflectors. I wear a FF helmet, using a windshield on any model Harley causes buffeting. I could not get rid of it on a Dyna but I never tried fork mounted wind deflectors on my Low Rider, don't know if they are available.
If I were you the first thing I would look into buying (or making) is fork mounted wind deflectors, I would sell the Fat Bob before I mounted a fairing on it. The Street Glide is probably the lightest touring bike with fairing, the new bikes (2014 and later) handle real well, your friend should take one for a ride.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:36 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
I would sell the Fat Bob before I mounted a fairing on it. The Street Glide is probably the lightest touring bike with fairing, the new bikes (2014 and later) handle real well, your friend should take one for a ride.
Thanks Mike, but that's just not a viable option. The Road Glide still weighs 140 pounds more than the Fat Bob. And only 37 pounds less than the bike he just sold. He hasn't rode much in the last couple of years, just because of the weight of that bike. But now he's riding the **** out of his Fat Bob and enjoying it immensely. He's just trying to keep a little bit more buffeting off of himself. And if we can do that while making the bike look even cooler, it's a win, win!

Quick Reply: Road Glide Fairing: Comfort & Buffeting?