Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Corbin or unheated Corbin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:01 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
........ Trying to decide whether to get the heat option or not. .....
....... get it.
.... you've got 8000' elevation roads in cali, heated's handy @ 8k' on a fall afternoon

Old 02-14-2016, 09:20 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
....... get it.
.... you've got 8000' elevation roads in cali, heated's handy @ 8k' on a fall afternoon
8,000' roads? very rare

Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
8,000' roads? very rare
...... well, perhaps not a plentiful as here in Colorado (the Higher State), but ....

Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If money is not a problem,always go for the heated seat.You never know when it will come in handy.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Yeah, we do ride all year here, but plenty of it can be chilly. Especially early morning commutes through the winter months. Angel's Crest and Rim of the World highway can be downright frigid depending on the day also. No doubt we're spoiled riders here. Usually I just grin and bear it, but I'm ready to accept the salvation of some heat! Thanks for all the input guys. It hasn't fallen on deaf ears...even the cautionary parts. Looking forward to it!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

^what he said. Heat is NICE. My crew makes fun of me after years of riding together without, but damn it makes a big difference and I'm MUCH more comfortable than they are . I still need a seat, but have both the lady and me heated jackets and gloves, grips too (I got those before the gloves) they're awesome!! I'd like to grab a seat, if it's any improvement like the rest of the gear, can't go wrong!!

There's safety considerations too, your reflexes on a bike in the cold are a lot slower if you're feeling the weather. We actually had a massive wreck with a semi (and 3 other cars) vs bike recently in the wee hours of the morning, and the guy died and ALL the involved vehicles left the scene (the trucker didn't even realize it had happened) The guy wasn't equipped with gear and wore no helmet. It had to be 20-30 degrees at that time and from what I know happened, I'm convinced the cold was a factor in his reaction time. Shame.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:07 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

when i replaced my stock seat, i went for a Russell day-long with leather and heat, at least for me. love it. wired it directly to the battery.......if you do it that way, just remember to turn it off when you get done riding.....luckily, it doesn't draw that much and can run for at least 10 hrs without causing you to need a jump.....mine did anyway.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:11 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cass
when i replaced my stock seat, i went for a Russell day-long with leather and heat, at least for me. love it. wired it directly to the battery.......if you do it that way, just remember to turn it off when you get done riding.....luckily, it doesn't draw that much and can run for at least 10 hrs without causing you to need a jump.....mine did anyway.

Good to know. The Corbin comes all set to plug into the wiring harness so I'll probably go that way. Any benefit to going direct to the battery?

Originally Posted by Onedef1
^what he said. Heat is NICE. My crew makes fun of me after years of riding together without, but damn it makes a big difference and I'm MUCH more comfortable than they are . I still need a seat, but have both the lady and me heated jackets and gloves, grips too (I got those before the gloves) they're awesome!! I'd like to grab a seat, if it's any improvement like the rest of the gear, can't go wrong!!

There's safety considerations too, your reflexes on a bike in the cold are a lot slower if you're feeling the weather. We actually had a massive wreck with a semi (and 3 other cars) vs bike recently in the wee hours of the morning, and the guy died and ALL the involved vehicles left the scene (the trucker didn't even realize it had happened) The guy wasn't equipped with gear and wore no helmet. It had to be 20-30 degrees at that time and from what I know happened, I'm convinced the cold was a factor in his reaction time. Shame.
Sorry to hear that story and I know what you're saying. I once jumped on my bike at 7pm in late January and drove 700 miles from Los Angeles to Ashland Oregon to deal with a family emergency. Arrived at 6am. Luckily there wasn't snow going through Mt. Shasta...but overall it was crazy cold and I didn't own heavy weather gear. I crammed into two pairs of pants and about 4 shirts under my leather jacket. I shoved all kinds of newspapers into my jacket also and put work gloves over my riding gloves...I looked like the stay puft marshmallow man and I was so cold after the first 5 hours that I'd have involuntary shiver convulsions that would come and go. It was all I could do to just stay pointed down the road. At one point my legs started just flapping at the hips and my knees were slapping into the sides of the tank. Looked like I was doing the funky chicken dance. It lasted about a minute before calming down. Happened off and on for the rest of the ride. Probably kept me from going into hypothermic shock. I rode a lot of the way with one hand or the other resting on the cylinder heads (thank god for the throttle set screw). I made it in one piece, but no way was it smart or safe. All I could do was pin the throttle and blast straight down the 5 freeway. Stopping for gas was a major effort as I was too cold and too bundled with layers to move well. Barely even could turn me head to check for traffic. Never again.

Last edited by Thingfish; 02-15-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Good to know. The Corbin comes all set to plug into the wiring harness so I'll probably go that way. Any benefit to going direct to the battery?

Sorry to hear that story and I know what you're saying. I once jumped on my bike at 7pm in late January and drove 700 miles from Los Angeles to Ashland Oregon to deal with a family emergency. Arrived at 6am. Luckily there wasn't snow going through Mt. Shasta...but overall it was crazy cold and I didn't have heavy gear. I crammed into two pairs of pants and about 4 shirts. I shoved all kinds of newspapers into my jacket also and put work gloves over my riding gloves...I looked like the stay puft marshmallow man and I was so cold after the first 5 hours that I'd have involuntary shiver convulsions that would come and go. It was all I could do to just stay pointed down the road. At one point my legs started just flapping at the hips and my knees were slapping into the sides of the tank. Looked like I was doing the funky chicken dance. It lasted about a minute before calming down. Happened off and on for the rest of the ride. Probably kept me from going into hypothermic shock. I rode a lot of the way with one hand or the other resting on the cylinder heads (thank god for the throttle set screw). I made it in one piece, but no way was it smart or safe. All I could do was pin the throttle and blast straight down the 5 freeway. Stopping for gas was a major effort as I was too cold and too bundled with layers to move well. Barely even could turn me head to check for traffic. Never again.
and a Heated Corbin would have made little difference in your being cold to your core - Nothing replaces good decisions and common sense -

Old 02-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley0711
and a Heated Corbin would have made little difference in your being cold to your core - Nothing replaces good decisions and common sense -
Well, as said it was a family emergency and what I did turned out to be the right choice at the time. Did the best I could with what I had. Risk does not automatically make something a poor choice. Some moments require it and I totally agree good decisions and common sense are the best tools in our box. I would definitely agree I was pushing my limits and it wouldn't have taken much to put me on the wrong side of that line.

That said...hell no do I ever want to be in that position again....I'm older and a bit wiser now too . I hear what you're saying that a heated seat won't fix everything, but I'll take the slight improvement. Just wanted to confirm I wouldn't sacrifice the fit and comfort of the seat which is my primary reason for buying it. If it did, I'd just keep on going as I have all these years and look towards other heated gear. Since it seems it doesn't adversely effect the seat, I'll spend the extra for those occasional times it might make the ride a few notches more pleasant. Down the road might be grips, vest, etc...but I like that the seat has no extra cords, is always on the bike...and being a seat heating my core I'd think it would be a good starting place or at least something I'm not sorry I have if I add a vest, etc.

Last edited by Thingfish; 02-15-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated Corbin or unheated Corbin?