Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiseco Big Bore break in question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Wiseco Big Bore break in question

Hi , had my indy do a big bore on my 88 and went to 95 with the Wiseco forged pistons, What is the break in procedure and heat cycles, i want to do this right since this is the most crucial period for durability and reliability

What have you guys done for the break in

Old 02-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

ride it like you stole it has always worked for me

Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always done a dyno break in

Old 02-13-2016, 10:17 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
Hi , had my indy do a big bore on my 88 and went to 95 with the Wiseco forged pistons, What is the break in procedure and heat cycles, i want to do this right since this is the most crucial period for durability and reliability

What have you guys done for the break in
================================

You should be asking the mfg of the big bore kit (wiseco?) and the local indy that installed kit what their rec breakin procedure is inc what breakin oil they rec too.

Thats because if you do exactly what they rec using breakin oil etc they rec too and happen to have issues either during or post breakin neither of them can say you didnt follow proper breakin procedure and or didnt use proper breakin oil as a reason to not back their product or mechanical work should a problem come up.

So if you were to follow /do what we rec here that doesn't line up with what the mfg of big bore kit along with what your local indy rec's for breakin your very likely going to be " SOL " should anything go wrong with your new 95" build.

Just my $.02 coming from 45yr's + of 1st hand exp i have wrenching bikes, cars & basically anything with a motor./LOL!!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 02-13-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:32 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
================================

You should be asking the mfg of the big bore kit (wiseco?) and the local indy that installed kit what their rec breakin procedure is inc what breakin oil they rec too.

Thats because if you do exactly what they rec using breakin oil etc they rec too and happen to have issues either during or post breakin neither of them can say you didnt follow proper breakin procedure and or didnt use proper breakin oil as a reason to not back their product or mechanical work should a problem come up.

So if you were to follow /do what we rec here that doesn't line up with what the mfg of big bore kit along with what your local indy rec's for breakin your very likely going to be " SOL " should anything go wrong with your new 95" build.

Just my $.02 coming from 45yr's + of 1st hand exp i have wrenching bikes, cars & basically anything with a motor./LOL!!

Scott
^^This^^,, however, surely the Indy put required oil in there before you got the bike back !!! If there's any doubt about that I'd go direct to the kit maker for info. Barring specific break in directions I'd follow the break in procedures per your HD manual, neither high revving or lugging for the first 500 mi and changing oil/filter after 1500. Like giving an enema to a dead man, it might not do any good but it can't hurt.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

You paid your indy to install the big bore kit and I am sure it came with break in recommendation so why ask.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I just hope you have better luck with the wiseco's than I did !!!!

Old 02-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Indy said he put break in oil (dino oil), and for break in said to take it easy for first 50km , no lugging and vary the speed, told me to drive for a few miles then let cool off, then do it again, was just wondering others have been told, i did check Wiseco website and no mention, did a web search and get all kinds of responses

Figured i would ask those who have done this on a harley

Old 02-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

There's nothing special or complicated about breaking in of an engine. Just keep the rpm's moderate but variable for the first few hundred miles. Allow it to run in its normal temperature range. Always allow it to fully heat up while riding. After about 500 to 1000 miles dump the cheap oil and put in some syn. You're good to go. Of course you could make it as complicated as putting a man on the moon. Heat cycles, multiple oil changes, and all that kind of stuff. But there's no evidence anywhere that it does any good. None.

Quick Reply: Wiseco Big Bore break in question