Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little advise on our first real trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:19 AM
wolf28
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little advise on our first real trip

My wife and I had been talking about taking a trip this summer on the bike, we've taken a lot of day trips at 500 miles plus in one day but no real "trips" and the questions I have are that my wife is pregnant lol and due in early September so I was thinking maybe may? So she'll be about halfway in that we are in northern mn thinking of going to Chicago as its only about 600 miles from our home so talking a 5 day round trip. Does anybody have any experience taking 4 month pregnant wives on 5 day trips? And another thing is I have never been in a big city on a bike, so like staying at a hotel in a city is it safe leaving my bike in a parking lot or in a parking ramp over night? It makes me nervous but i really have no idea ha thanks for any help

Old 02-14-2016, 01:15 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

When I go on trips I try and park it as close to the door of the hotel as I can. Also get a disc brake lock on eBay.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:34 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I would never take my pregnant wife on the expressways in Chicago. Too many pychos. Traffic flows about 30 mph over the speed limit, with occasional zig zaggers going 50 over and cutting you off.
Take a tour along the Mississippi instead. End up in Galena, Il.. A beautiful historic town.
Congratulations. The only thing better than being a Dad, is being a Grandpa.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:42 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 361 Posts

It's very hard to steal a touring bike. No one will steal it in Chicago. If they want it they will get it. Sportbikes are easier to steal since they are light and small. Just lock up your bags and fork and you should be good to go.

Even though IL is a no helmet state. I would still wear one regardless.

FYI. Do not go to the west side or south side. Or stroll down Roosevelt from Chicago to Berwyn. Do not go further west of the United Center. Please avoid it at all costs of you want to live. Unless times have changed since I left 4 years ago.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 02-14-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:00 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I recommend staying in a west suburb like Bolingbrook for the night. I lived on far south side of Chgo for 25 years in the "Letter" streets and believe me there is no place now to safely stay the night or park your bike. I say take side bags in hotel room with you. Hell its 2 pins holding them on. Even Lansing and calumet city are not the safest. Pregnant wife?? Don't think I would risk the baby at that stage of pregnancy. Go to Galena or Starved Rock. Both are nice rides.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:02 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

If you really want to go to Chicago for a full week take the car. There are some cities you can relax and ride through, Chicago isn't one of them. You have to drive through Chicago and being in that crap for a week wouldn't be enjoyable to me, especially with a pregnant wife.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:42 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Yep I agree with all the other posts. Go anywhere but Chicago on a bike and pregnant wife unless you want to send her into a stress induced labor way way to early. Congratulations on the new baby coming just Chicago isn't a that place to visit with either of those situations.

Batman

Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

My advice in your particular situation is take a car.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:12 AM
timebandit60185
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the last place I would take a bike trip.i live in the Chicago burbs and once in awhile I have to g through the city and everytime I wish I would of went the longer way around if you do go be ready to be cut off have cars flying past you at least 40 mpg over the speed ,tailgated, ive been all over the united states on my bikes and Chicago is one of the worse

Old 02-14-2016, 07:12 AM
tjwallib
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago.

If I'm doing my math correctly, you're thinking about taking a trip towards the end of May? Weather in Chicago at the end of May is still a crap shoot.

Take a motorcycle to Chicago and park it? What for?

As I said, I live in the northern suburbs, and I generally avoid the city like the plaque, not a place I want to be riding a bike. Stay in the suburbs? What for,,,,,,typical malls, strip centers and general traffic congestion. Don't care what time of year it is,,,,,,if you want to come to Chicago,,,,,,,,take a car.

If it was me, I'd take a crap shoot on the weather and go the the Black Hills,,,,,,,yep, might be some cold weather,,,,,and some rain,,,,,,and some wind,,,,,,,but at least you'd have some pretty country to ride through instead of traffic, congestion, construction and crooked Illinois politicians and taxes.

Quick Reply: Need a little advise on our first real trip