Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military Retired Decal/Ultra Classic Trike

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:51 AM
Blacklion213
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Retired Decal/Ultra Classic Trike

This sounds trivial but I am serious. Where can a military decal (the one used to gain base access) be mounted on an Ultra Classic Trike? The security people want to stick the decal on windshield (blocks view) or on the fairing. I asked them if this were their vehicle would they put the decal on the fairing paint? They said no. So where would be a good place to put the decal (I know I have a million suggestions where to put it also)? Any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2007, 06:29 AM
scotchrick05
Cruiser
Default RE: Military Retired Decal/Ultra Classic Trike

Ive seen mounts made for it specifically, but mine is affixed to the upper portion of the fork, vertically.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Ben U

My personal opinion is this ... I am in the military and won't put a decal on it, period. If I absolutely had to ... I would put it on the windshield knowing I can exchange windshields very easily without leaving a mess.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't ask them anything. If they were intent upon havingthe base decalsin a uniform prescribed spot then it would come with a photo on the wall they could point or on a sheetwith instructions.

I've put mine on a stainless steal plate that my dealership sold me.(cost+/-$12.00 -$22.00, don't really remember the exact price) I've seen them mounted on highway pegs, down by the floor boards even as far back as the rear passenger peg/board mounting points.

Most of the dealers have something similar when located around major bases.

I have to deal with the inpection sticker on the fork down tube, they put the first on before I bought the bike I think that the next inspection I'll get another plate and stick it someplace and try remove the sticker remains from the down tube some how!!

I know this photo is not the best angle but at least it gives you some idea. You can get a plate made at any machine shop for amost nothing. And if you do get the custom, then you could make it large enough to show the rank stickers/retired stickers as well! Just a thought.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4133/AEA8065965E242879B894BC087377CFE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2007, 08:00 AM
scotchrick05
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Ben U

My personal opinion is this ... I am in the military and won't put a decal on it, period. If I absolutely had to ... I would put it on the windshield knowing I can exchange windshields very easily without leaving a mess.
You kinda have to have a sticker.....unless you want to goto the entry office for a temporary EVERY time you come on post.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:12 AM
rtrostiii
Cruiser

Heres how I put the base decal on my ultra.

I laid out a piece of clear packing tape sticky side up peeled off the backing of the sticker and laid it sticky side to sticky side on the tape.

Then put the tape to the inside of the windshield and viola decal mounted, highly visable and somewhat securely fixed to my bike.

I put the sticker on the bottom left INSIDE of my windshield.

I have the HD3 pocket glass cases thing on the inside of my fairing so thisblocks easy access to the tape and doesn't make it easy for someone to rip the decal off.

I can say this works for me on most of the major bases in the greater DC area to include the Navy facility where I work.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine put about midways down the LH front frame member.

If you don't have a sticker you'll be spending a lot of time in the gate office getting temporary passes.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

you can see where mine is....lower fork......i'm over it now.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Blackisfast
Tourer

The rule has already been changed in that you no longer need the date portions of the stickers. There is a change in the works that NO sticker at all will be required in the near future since bases now require a CAC to be presented by every driver.

I'd suggest that you hold off putting anything on your bike...it won't be long.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:26 PM
allen605
Advanced

Here's where I put my base stiker: Get yourself a sheet of soft flexible magnet; I used one of those advertizing magnets that come in the Sunday paper. Apply your base decal to the magnet and trim to size. The best place to mount it is on the passing lamp bracket behind the fairing. You could putit a few other places too, but I found that to be the best location. I pull mine out and stick it on right before I go on base and usually take it off when I'm out in town. There has never been an issue with it falling off even at highway speeds nor I have never been questioned by base security because it looks like it is actually stuck on the bike. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Military Retired Decal/Ultra Classic Trike