Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5K service - did it myself

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5K service - did it myself

Just finished the 5K service on my bagger - it's a great feeling to do it yourself. The service manual was a perfect road map and the Fix My Hog DVD helped a lot too. And man it's sure nice to save all that cash for more important stuff!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:29 PM
gibbyair
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5k service - did it myself

I'm coming up on my 5K for my 07 ultra. I have the service manual but haven't looked at it for the 5k. anything I need to know about, any special tools or anything tricky?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

just did mine. felt like it was more of a good inspection and oil change. Only real service this bike needs is to be taken out an ran,dont over look that ............[sm=biker.gif]

oh ya check the stuff the dealeroverlooked at the 1k like lube the stering neck[:@]

Old 06-17-2007, 12:13 AM
RonH
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: gibbyair
I'm coming up on my 5K for my 07 ultra. I have the service manual but haven't looked at it for the 5k. anything I need to know about, any special tools or anything tricky?
Nothing tricky - Like voodoodrug said it really is more of a once over with an oil change. The belt tension gauge is helpful for that adjustment, but everything is pretty much straight out of the service manual. You need torx stuff and inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches. Just follow the book and you'll be fine. If you log onto the HD site and enter your VIN number and mileage it will bring up the 5K service list. I printed that out and just checked each thing off as I did it, dated it and put that in a file with my oil receipt.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 AM
swipter
Tourer

[/quote]

Nothing tricky - Like voodoodrug said it really is more of a once over with an oil change. The belt tension gauge is helpful for that adjustment, but everything is pretty much straight out of the service manual. You need torx stuff and inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches. Just follow the book and you'll be fine. If you log onto the HD site and enter your VIN number and mileage it will bring up the 5K service list. I printed that out and just checked each thing off as I did it, dated it and put that in a file with my oil receipt.
[/quote]

So I went on the HD site to do that but can not find the enter mileage and print the sheet thing you talk about.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Like said before get a belt tension gauge,proper sockets(Torx set w/#27) and regular sockets.Inch andpound torque wrenches.
You can also buy a primary chain gauge but there are methods to check the play.
Also there are special sockets availible for the clutch hub adjustment but again there are other ways(tools to use)for the adjustment.
Dont forget the beer!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:57 PM
RonH
Road Captain

Here's the link to the HD site for service info:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US&Web LogicSession=G1nyUcSA5Yy52k1diAh6xRJ78VlIUhPFol6ki VW9FCN2hAgwMt88!373756752!181237811!7005!8005&nick name=Ron%2C+Ron

Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 PM
mazeppa
Advanced
Default RE: 5K service - did it myself

ORIGINAL: RonH

Just finished the 5K service on my bagger - it's a great feeling to do it yourself.
Now you know ALLof it wasdone, and done CORRECTLY.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a small note: the manual says not to put in more than 3.5 quarts of oil after a full drain and filter change. I could only put in 2.5 before the dipstick said full, then I ran it as recommended so I could get a hot reading. That told me to add about 1/2 quart (which prob about equals what the new filter captured), then I let it set overnight. Next day, cold reading had me put in about 1/4 quart. Therefore, I ended up only putting 3 1/4 quarts back in, instead of 4. And that's after having let it drain till nothing was coming out! But, always good to not over-fill!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be doing mine this week, once I can find the fluids. Amsoil 20w-50 for the engine and primary. And redline shockproof for the transmission, Right? Does this sound like a good combination? Also, having a hard time finding the redline. What else is good to use on my '05 rk custom? Or, where can I get the redline?

Quick Reply: 5K service - did it myself