Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Linkage Came Apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:55 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Shifter Linkage Came Apart

A couple weeks ago, I was riding (fortunately on a country road and not on an interstate) and I went to shift gears and the shifter just flopped. The bike was in gear, so I had control and was able to pull over to see what happened. I quickly saw that the shifter rod (17 in the diagram below) was no longer in the hole in the lever (part 16) and the nut that is supposed to hold it in place was missing. When I pulled this diagram, I saw that it was a nut and the two washers that were missing. (parts, 5, 7 and 8) Fortunately I had zip ties in my saddlebag and was able to hold it together and ride home.

When I got the replacement parts and threaded the nut on, the threads were full of scrud. (I'm pretty sure that is the technical term.) So I began to suspect that the washers and nut had been missing for a while and the bolt piece had just been resting in the hole.

Has anyone else had this happen? The bike has 45,000 miles on it, so it could have worked loose, but it had also been in for the 45,000 mile service so it surprised me that they wouldn't have caught it. Is that not a "critical fastener" that should have been checked?

Anyway, this is a long way of saying you might want to check that nut. It's not really visible since it is behind the rod and lever, so it's easy not to notice.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:02 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Very common fixed several friends with zip ties. Change the joints to Heim joints

Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Yes, "scrud" is the correct technical term and aren't zip ties the greatest invention besides duct tape? I'm glad you weren't on a freeway, too, and I'm happy you made it home okay. I'd make sure whoever did your service knows what happened. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Changed mine to chrome Heim joints. End of problem, & looks better.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwruth
Very common fixed several friends with zip ties. Change the joints to Heim joints
I switched to the Heim joint and problem solved.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Kurt ... Never leave home without zip ties, duct tape, wire and a pair of vice grips ... Oh ya, a credit card and a cellphone are good ideas too :>)

Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing to Heim is the best solution. Because it is a weak setup I picked up a spare stock rod before a trip which has been buried in my saddlebag for years for whoever needs it on the road. The washers and nuts were not included and purchased separately. $23 is cheap insurance.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Changed mine to chrome Heim joints. End of problem, & looks better.
Same here.
Glad you had a fix, and thanks for passing it on!
Reminded me of an old story from long ago. Years ago, an old bike of mine had the shifter shaft splines to strip, and the shifter lever fell off on the road. I did the beer can fix on it, and when it fell off a couple of more times I clamped down a big pair of vice grips/roach clip on the shaft. Rode it that way for a long time. Once leaving a bar, some drunk followed me out raising hell about something, when we got to my bike, I unclamped the vice grips from the shifter shaft, cold cocked Him, clamped them back on the shifter shaft, and eased on down the road.
You just can't make this stuff up!
Just a flash back, thanks, everybody carry on...

Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Yes, "scrud" is the correct technical term and aren't zip ties the greatest invention besides duct tape?
Lets not forget velcro.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Always on the look out for loose fasteners. Years of operating heavy equipment has taught me the importance of good regular inspections. The factory linkage is similar to what are on some of our machinery, I pulled them off and used blue locktite on them when I first got the bike. I have also since replaced mine to the chrome Heim joints.

I have also found the right foot board coming loose, pulled the bolts and added blue locktite. Then I did the left side.

Quick Reply: Shifter Linkage Came Apart