Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ElectraGlide Rear boxes hitting on the Box Rails

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:00 PM
J-FRAME
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ElectraGlide Rear boxes hitting on the Box Rails

2000 FLHT 44 k miles. The box rails are wearing spots on the sides of the rear boxes. Both rear boxes. I have put new rubbers on the bottom of the boxes and checked everything tight. But the vibration and shake still make a fairly good sized rub in the paint on the boxes. What to do?

Old 02-26-2016, 09:17 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I will venture a guess that the brackets that your mounting pins go in need adjusted. Both of them can be rotated.

When I had my last bike apart for paint, the way I adjusted the was to keep the loose, make my adjustments while the bags were on, I use a ratcheting wrench to reach with the lids opened.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:21 PM
J-FRAME
Cruiser

About 10 k ago I put Brukus Saddlebag Secure bolts on. But I can't see where that changed the dimension on the boxes/ rails. Yes I need set down and readjust everything I guess to get more clearance in there. Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 AM
J-FRAME
Cruiser

Just to help the next guy out which is what a lot of this forum is about and has helped me many times.Heres what I have found in regards to the saddle bag guards rubbing on the outside of the rear boxes of my ElectraGlide and wearing away small spots in the paint. In the FLT parts catolog it calls the parts saddlebag guard clamps. There is a small flat rubber that fits in the clamp to help keep the clamps in the original place. Mine has deteriorated over 16 years and 44k and allowed the clamp to ride forward and contact the outside of the box wearing a spot in the paint. This has happened on both boxes about the same. With my cam and at idle and start up my Electraglide rear shakes like a dog just coming out of the water. It a easy fix loosen move to the rear apply something secure and retighten and repair the paint spots. Also new rubbers under the boxes from to time to time and new rubbers on the exhausts. Shake rattle and roll on. Ride safe

The following users liked this post:
BoonDock_Saint (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 06:28 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for following up!

Old 03-18-2016, 01:15 AM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I put the factory dual saddlebag rails on my 2006 road king. I noticed that they were hitting the bags as well. Saw where my '06 had some spacers in the rear brackets between the bracket and where it bolts to the bike. My '98 did not have these. Removed the rear spacers and put in some shorter bolts. Bags no longer hitting and no problems with any other clearance issues by removing the spacers.

Head