Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Caliper Rebuild Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 AM
65Tiger
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Did Drag make the seal kit at one time then discontinued?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:52 PM
65Tiger
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

A bit of Googling tells me that QTM used the same kit for F and R
pn# 670-1006X for the HD Brembo Caliper.
Sales contact is Tara Para (tara@qtmi.com) but she told me these are discontinued

Tara does not know piston sizes but claims the pistons are the same F and R

Drag when they listed them had different parts for both seals only and kits c/w pistons F and R

So who is correct?

Last edited by 65Tiger; 07-24-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM
CarlB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The part numbers I have found are:
drag 1702-0125 - discontinued
cycle pro 19257M - still available on evilbay for $50/each
qtm 670-1006x - discontinued

The Honda part number 45209-961-006 shows it's for various '80s hondas so I'm not too thrilled about 30-year-old NOS seals in my Brembos unless someone can confirm buying these and receiving a newly manufactured item.

Anyone know why caliper rebuild seals are so difficult to find? Any other source of part numbers? So far this has to be the best kept secret regarding this bike.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 PM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlB
The part numbers I have found are:
drag 1702-0125 - discontinued
cycle pro 19257M - still available on evilbay for $50/each
qtm 670-1006x - discontinued

The Honda part number 45209-961-006 shows it's for various '80s hondas so I'm not too thrilled about 30-year-old NOS seals in my Brembos unless someone can confirm buying these and receiving a newly manufactured item.

Anyone know why caliper rebuild seals are so difficult to find? Any other source of part numbers? So far this has to be the best kept secret regarding this bike.
I upgraded my 2002 FLH to Brembos last year. I split the calipers, flushed with electrical cleaner and reassembled using the QTM kit ordered from Tara and DOT 5. They were a quality seal kit. I believe that QTM supplied the seals to Brembo. The reason I was told the HD doesn't offer a seal kit is they state the caliper is not re-buildable (which is false) and thus you need to buy a new one from them (or ebay etc). I can only speculate that QTM no longer supplies the seals due to some form of litigation from HD or Brembo through a contract with HD? Who knows but it is sad news. To be honest, I used the QTM on two calipers, the third one, I just cleaned the seals and o ring, coated with Sil-Glide from NAPA and reinstalled with no issue at all. Be careful, you can not buy that o ring (the QTM kit had them in it) so don't lose it. I will have to look up the info but I believe the pistons were the same as used on KTM bikes and are available for purchase. Do a google search that is what I did, lot of info. Member FSG on HTT is very knowledgeable regarding these brakes, some links should take you to discussions there. I think I have measurements of the pistons from when I had mine apart. This is one of the best up grades there is for the pre 08 bikes and DOT 5 works fine in them as long as non ABS.. I am very sad that QTM no longer offers the seals.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM
klammer76
Road Master

Check this thread for the Honda seal info:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...build-kit.html

Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM
CarlB
Advanced

Originally Posted by klammer76
Check this thread for the Honda seal info:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...build-kit.html
Have you ordered Honda seals? Those part numbers are for 30-year-old bikes. Why are all the ones on ebay NOS? They could be 30-year-old piston seals.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:26 PM
CarlB
Advanced

On faith that the Honda seals are the right size I bought a NOS from ebay and will see if I can get it matched up to a generic quad seal from a hydraulic parts supplier.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 PM
klammer76
Road Master

Originally Posted by CarlB
Have you ordered Honda seals? Those part numbers are for 30-year-old bikes. Why are all the ones on ebay NOS? They could be 30-year-old piston seals.
No, I used seals from QTM last year when they were still available.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:40 AM
CarlB
Advanced

Just spoke with Tommy at CyclePro. They were the last to offer a Brembo rebuild kit but they are out of stock. He said demand for his kits went through the roof. He thinks he will be shipping in a week.

If I ever get my rebuild done I'm keeping the old seals to look for a generic substitute. I'm seeing a side to Brembo I don't like. I think they have put a cease and desist on aftermarket suppliers.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 PM
CarlB
Advanced

I heard back from one of the chrome exchange vendors and they recommend reusing the old seals when rebuilding to chrome. The dealer said they can rebuild mine but they probably also use the old seals too. There's a market for a kit.

Quick Reply: Brembo Caliper Rebuild Kit