Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensating Sprocket Bolt Removal Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:24 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compensating Sprocket Bolt Removal Trouble

I'm having some trouble breaking the compensating sprocket bolt loose on my 2016 RGS. It's a T-70 Torx bolt that's torqued to 175 ft-lbs and probably covered in Red Loctite...so I know it's definitely gonna be a bitch to break loose. I've followed all of the steps in the service manual so far but I'm stuck at the compensating sprocket bolt:

I have everything all set up like the picture above illustrates. I hit the bolt with some PB Blaster and I also took a torch to it briefly and nothing. I've never disassembled the inner primary before, but something just does not feel right. It feels like the engine is moving as I'm wrenching on the bolt counterclockwise. The clutch side broke loose no problem (granted it's only torqued to 70-80 ft-lbs). The sliding cam (#5 in the picture below) is moving slightly the more pressure I apply:

What the hell am I doing wrong? Or is this completely normal and I'm just being paranoid?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone

What the hell am I doing wrong? Or is this completely normal and I'm just being paranoid?
Completely normal. You are going to have to put some *** into it big time to break it loose.
Don't bother with heat. Just too much metal on the whole assembly to do any good.
For the record if it's never been broken loose before, it's a blue/grayish lock tight.

Get out a breaker bar and go for it. You won't break anything - it's tough.

Replace that bolt when you go to reassemble...

Old 03-13-2016, 08:49 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Originally Posted by lp
Completely normal. You are going to have to put some *** into it big time to break it loose.
Don't bother with heat. Just too much metal on the whole assembly to do any good.
For the record if it's never been broken loose before, it's a blue/grayish lock tight.

Thanks for the quick reply brother. Parts guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and made sure I bought the 5 new bolts to mount the primary, but never said anything about using a new compensating sprocket bolt. I appreciate the advice. Gonna go put some *** into it now...

Old 03-13-2016, 09:02 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Originally Posted by lp

Quick (likely stupid) question... Does it matter if the bike is in gear or not? I currently have it in 6th as I was installing my Fuel Moto 107 kit...

Old 03-13-2016, 09:06 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

May I ask why you're removing the compensator on a new bike?

Old 03-13-2016, 09:10 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

I use a long pipe on a breaker bar to get them loose.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had mine in first gear and even had the rear brake on to help hold it while I used the breaker bar and cheater pipe.

BOB

Old 03-13-2016, 10:19 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Get a large box end wrench to fit item #9 in your diagram above and let it rest on the lift table or floor to stabilize the crankshaft. I forget what size it is. That will eliminate any movement while you put some *** into loosening it.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:19 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas. Finally got that bad boy off. I was really expecting it to "crack" loose. Instead, it was a real slow go. Ultimately, tying up the rear brake and hitting the socket with a brass hammer while torquing the living **** out of it was the key....

Old 03-13-2016, 11:29 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Realize that we are all a long way from your problem but I think that big torx is probably tighter than a bulls *** at fly time, so to speak. Get a long breaker bar and grunt till you soil your pants if you have to. It will come loose. Ya, your probably are a little paranoid but we have all been there a few times.

Quick Reply: Compensating Sprocket Bolt Removal Trouble