Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my Harley to my neighbor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 AM
J-FRAME
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Selling my Harley to my neighbor???

In 2000 at age 50 I bought a brand new Electra-glide for my birthday. Fast forward 16 years and 42k miles I need to quit riding and sell. Health issues and by skill level(safety) have made me ready to give it all up. It was a good motorcycle. And all the main issues have been addressed as time has went by so it has all known bugs out of it. My neighbor of 10 years. Age 41 with two kids 10 and 8 just divorced his wife and its final. Is keeping the house and she has bought a house a mile away. They are sharing the kids and they just sold their big motor home and are ready to move on in life. He has over the last couple of years shown a interest in buying it. Money is not a issue .It will soon be spring so nows the time. Although I'm sad to see the Harley go here are some of my problems I'm searching for answers to . He's been a good neighbor. There when I need help me the same but we are not a bother to each other either. My problem is I will sell the HD as is where is and of course would share any and all information with him on its care and use. He is a totally new rider. Doesn't even have a mc license yet and will take motorcycle training. He's a big guy like me so the motorcycle will fit him well. But he's not very mechanical (stock broker)and takes his pickup to a Jiffy Lube for oil changes etc. I do what ever work I can on my bike and truck and have to take my stuff to the real mechanics on occasion but try to do most all my servicing myself. I would not really want to work on his motorcycle and have it take a dump on him at 80 mph in front of a semi. I just won't do it . I will explain to him about it all but otherwise it will have to go to the dealer. I think I have given you enough information to make a interesting discussion. Please fell free to share what you think of this arrangement. Would you do it or run away??? Help!!!!

Old 03-28-2016, 12:02 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your relationship with your neighbor is good enough that you should be able to explain your concerns and he should be able to understand and accept them. I think you'll have the hardest end of the deal in watching your bike head down the road on a regular basis.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Just introduce him to an indy who you think is competent and fair.

refer him to a rider's course.

give him a bit of a support system

and then he's on his own

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You could always trade for a Triglide. Easier on the creaky bones and an excuse not to sell to your neighbor.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:27 PM
HD Mojo
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like you have a handle on it and are doing everything right.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:39 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Personally, in the same situation, I would be hesitant to sell it to the neighbor.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:46 PM
J-FRAME
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And why? Please explain

Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I hate selling my toys and never ever want to see them again.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:53 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Buyers assume the risk upon purchase. Your situation is no different. You have maintained the bike properly. Explain all of this with your neighbor. The final decision is his, and his alone as to whether he want to move forward with the purchase. Nobody I know has a working crystal ball that can tell how long a mechanical piece of equipment will last.

Offer him a decent deal. If he takes it, great. If not, move on. my $0.02.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:53 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't sell to anyone I know. It will become a problem. Believe me I know.

Quick Reply: Selling my Harley to my neighbor???