Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harddrive/Racingbros rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:35 PM
nevadarider
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harddrive/Racingbros rear shocks

My touring ride is an '04 Electra Glide Classic that I have been doing work on for the last 2 years since I bought it. I've done engine work increasing it to 95 c.i. with a torque cam and Shortblock Charlie head work and also redid the cam chain set up to the HD hybrid set up. I've done lots of other stuff to the bike like everybody else on HD Forums, always tweaking it out one way or another hoping to make it roadworthy and fun to ride. I want to upgrade the front suspension but ended up helping with a friend's funeral costs so I put that on the back burner and am just going to change the fork oil to slightly heavier type for this season. Then while riding recently with my gal on the back the rear shocks seemed to bottom out going over some chuckholes on the highway. And as we cruised at mild speed over some speed bumps later that day, the same thing happened. I pulled over and yanked out the air pump expecting to see that the pressure was low. It wasn't at all, so the Street Glide shocks I put on last year are already too wimpy. So, I decided to look into rear shocks. Jeez, didn't know everything out there was made out of gold these days. Anything I liked by eyeball appeal starts out at about $700. Yikes! I looked on ebay and I can buy a new set of (4) Rough Country shocks for a Chevy 4x4 for under $200 but for 2 shocks for my cycle I gotta pay $700? Then I saw some Harddrive 705 shocks on ebay for touring HD's, for $320. Not a lot of info on those but I decided to try them cuz I need to do something due to the torn up highways around here from the snow and harsh winter we had this year. I got them today, the box they came in says "Racingbro's Suspension" and are the type that have adjustable preload via a threaded adjuster, and preset dampening. So, I'm going to try them and see what happens. I'll post my findings on here after I get to put a few miles on them and adjust the preload if need be, in case anyone else is wondering if they are worth using.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:47 PM
nevadarider
Advanced

I Put the Racingbros shocks on and initially they were stiff as a board, running bike solo and i am a light 150 lb rider. plus I carry about 30-40 lbs of tools in the bags at all times (just in case, ya know). I turned the adjustment ring (up) to lessen the preload 2 turns and that wasn't enough. Reduced preload 2 more full turns and ride was better but still a little stiff. I have room to turn them maybe 2 more turns but am doing oil changes etc today so will have to wait till that's done. By the way, the adjuster rings don't require a tool to turn them, they move fairly easily with just my hand and don't tend to just to turn on their own, and that was stated in product description. That is kind of nice! I am starting to think they will be okay for me, and I hope the gal can handle them cuz her other option is the couch when it's time for me to lose some stress on the highway.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:07 PM
nevadarider
Advanced
Default Now for the next step

Okay, I think the new rear shocks are okay, just a very different ride than I have had with that bike. As I was test riding last weekend, I was trying to hit every chuck hole I could find. The new rear shocks are a much stiffer ride and by the way, they could easily handle much more weight than I had on the bike. Also what I noticed was how sloppy the front end is. It is stock and okay on smooth roads but the bike has never liked big sudden bumps and when braking, of course it dives like a submarine. So, I ordered a set of the Legend Axeo front cartridge fork guts, telling myself that a day of riding can be hazardous enough and when things happen, and they do on a bike, I need the bike to HELP ME get out of a jam and not amplify the problem even more. So, I'm waiting for the parts to get here now. My buddy who is the safety director at the company I work for is listening to me and from that he is also considering upgrading his front end. Also, getting a Bagger Brace as I can feel the bike beginning to wobble a bit these days. Then I am hoping to think more about riding than about wrenching for a little bit.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Not surprised you aren't getting much advice on here about your shocks since most only think that rear shocks can be Ohlins. If those shocks you bought work for you, which it sounds like they do, then they are good to go.

On the front I would say try the Screamin Eagle heavy fork oil before you tear it apart. The heavier oil will slow the front end a bit and won't let it dive as much. Just drain each side individually into a measuring cup, after removing the top cap (bike should be on a bike jack) and refill with the same amount or a slight bit more. Make sure both sides have about the same amount.

The following users liked this post:
nevadarider (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 PM
nevadarider
Advanced
Default Thanks Guntoter

Hey Guntoter, thanks for your input. By the way, beautiful ride you have !!!! Anyway fyi, I tore the ol girl down to install the parts I ordered. I am putting on the bagger brace and decided to change out the rubber mounts in the rear while I am at it. So that is in process now along with the front forks being tore down for the Axeo kit. On my particular machine I have to do a bit more to install the Axeo kit, so I decided to replace the front fork bushings and seal while in there, so those parts are now on order. Also I had a gliche making my OE fork caps fit correctly on the Axeo cartridges for some reason I have yet to figure out. Oh well, that's how this stuff goes sometimes but one has to keep going till the end, right?!

Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Illinois_Minion
Road Captain
Received 681 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by nevadarider
Also I had a gliche making my OE fork caps fit correctly on the Axeo cartridges for some reason I have yet to figure out. Oh well, that's how this stuff goes sometimes but one has to keep going till the end, right?!
??? You're trying to put the OEM cap OVER the Axeo cartridge cap? On mine, screw the cartridge into the fork and you're done (assuming you got oil in there). Or is this some sort of decorative cover?

Old 05-28-2020, 04:54 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Illinois_Minion
??? You're trying to put the OEM cap OVER the Axeo cartridge cap? On mine, screw the cartridge into the fork and you're done (assuming you got oil in there). Or is this some sort of decorative cover?
I'm pretty sure he got it figured out. That post was 4 years ago.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:42 PM
Balackbetty883
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard or heavy duty?

Originally Posted by nevadarider
I Put the Racingbros shocks on and initially they were stiff as a board, running bike solo and i am a light 150 lb rider. plus I carry about 30-40 lbs of tools in the bags at all times (just in case, ya know). I turned the adjustment ring (up) to lessen the preload 2 turns and that wasn't enough. Reduced preload 2 more full turns and ride was better but still a little stiff. I have room to turn them maybe 2 more turns but am doing oil changes etc today so will have to wait till that's done. By the way, the adjuster rings don't require a tool to turn them, they move fairly easily with just my hand and don't tend to just to turn on their own, and that was stated in product description. That is kind of nice! I am starting to think they will be okay for me, and I hope the gal can handle them cuz her other option is the couch when it's time for me to lose some stress on the highway.
Did you get the standard or heavy duty

Old 04-09-2024, 07:01 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,526 Likes on 3,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Balackbetty883
Did you get the standard or heavy duty
He has not logged in for 3 years, you may have to find your answer another way

Old 04-09-2024, 07:54 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,359 Likes on 2,223 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
He has not logged in for 3 years, you may have to find your answer another way
Yes, Pounders should be along any time. He'll know.

Quick Reply: Harddrive/Racingbros rear shocks