Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headset/Mic for Ultra-Not helmet mounted!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headset/Mic for Ultra-Not helmet mounted!

Does anyone know of a headset/mic that could be used on an Ultra for people that don't wear helmets? I know, we should all wear helmets, but I hate them!!!! I was thinking of some type of headset that has a spring clamp over the head, I know it would require re-wiring to the 6 pin Din that HD uses?

Thanks!!! Roger

Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Default RE: Headset/Mic for Ultra-Not helmet mounted!

Sierra Motorcycle Electronics used to sell one. I didn't see it on thier website any more. I have two of them that I rarely use. I will check them out to make sure they still work. (I only used one of them twice and they are hanging in my Bike building. If interested I may sell them.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with the external noise ... I wouldn't think that would be the best. I will make an assumption you will not necesarily be wanting it for VOX/intercom but potentially for a MIC for the CB? If that is the case why not just get a handle-bar mount for a CB MIC Transmitter?

Trust me in the fact ... the little speakers for helmet use are 'crap'. They sound terrible. I'd much rather use the external speakers for the radio/CD/Aux and communications is OK through the stock headset.

If you want it to communicate with other bikes via the CB I'd not even bother with jerry-rigging something together and just get the MIC which will pug into the Communications Port and use that for bike-to-bike communications.

CB Mic is $94.95

Link To HD CB Mic

Just a thought for you.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the same as the aove...I se the hand held 99% of the time...the mic is noise cancelling and yur faring speakers will sound far better than ANY headset rig. HD makes a very, very good mic!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:40 PM
larry5h
Road Master

I use the J&M hand mike & the bike's speakers.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

I do all three depending on my mood, meaning I have the Harley headset, I have the Sierra Helmetless headset and I have the Harley hand held microphone. They all work well in regards to the microphone transmission, however I agree with Iceman about the quality of the speakers to the ear (not good). J&M has much better speakers to the ear but the mic quality is not as good.

My next project since I like to wear a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet is to simply cut off the speakers to the ear and just use the mic boom. I do like listening through the dash speakers as well.

I wish someone made a throat micrphone, that would be the best of all worlds, I've searched everywhere for one and have yet to find any for Harley. They make good quality throat mic's for the FRS radios and such but not us, or Harley...yet.

BTW, it's a 7 pin cord not six. The older style is 5, but I've never seen six.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:20 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input!!! I may have to re-think this one

Roger

Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I need to purchase headsets as well. For one helmet, (full face) is a given....just not sure about my abilities to cut into the foam inside to mount speakers for the radio/cb/intercom, etc. Not like you can really fix it, if ya eff something up.

For my helmet(s) I would prefer something that I can use with my 3/4, and transfer over to my full face as well. Not sure if something like that exists tho

Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ummmmmmm I use a 3/4 BURNOUT helmet. comes with a VISOR so if you don't want the shield on you can just have a little visor which gives it a nice look. Communications mount just fine to the 3/4 helmets. Bud has an UltraJet II (basically the same). Stuff can be mounted to most 3/4 helmets. No tearing stuff apart or cutting in the helmets needed for communications installation.

Cost: $185
Link for Burnout Helmet