Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak at Stator Wires

Old 04-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts
Unhappy Oil Leak at Stator Wires

I have an oil leak at the front of my engine where the stator wires come out the primary case. (I have the Twin Cam engine) I think this is a common problem.
How do you fix it? Well the wires are encased in the rubber that should seal the hole. The wires are attached to the stator. So the right way to repair the leak is to replace the stator. This is an expensive little leak. According to the Harley Dealer it's:

Stator $164
Gasket $36
Tax $16
Total $216

Plus this is no small task. You have to remove the primary chain, compensator and stator. That's time consuming if you do it yourself or expensive if you pay someone to do it for you.

If that's the right way is there another way? Many Harley owners just let it go and add oil as necessary. The leak is in the bottom front so it doesn't really mess up the cycle or engine. I think this poorly designed oil seal is one of the main reasons Harleys have the reputation of "marking their spot".

Has anyone ever successfully addressed this leak without spending all this money and time?
That rubber that is leaking is soft. I can compress it with my finger, opening the gap more. I know there isn't much pressure on this seal but every engine built now a days has wires that need to go inside. Other manufacturers are able to keep it sealed.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I had that happen on my 89 FXR, I just kept it clean.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

a few have gotten lucky with rtv sealer,but its got to be totally clean. look for older threads on what they used.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:43 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts

Silicone.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Clean it real good with brake cleaner. Let it dry. Seal it up with some black rtv gasket/sealant. I used Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Maker. Says on the label Maximum Oil Resistance. Stand back after the repair and you cant even tell its on there. Mine started leaking right after my ace mechanic had the primary apart so I did this instead of tearing it apart again. Its been a year no with no sign of a leak.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

why not release the tension on the wire but cutting the zip tie. Then flush the entire area with brake cleaner and the see if that release in tension prevents the leak. If not... then apply a very very small amount of permatex as others have suggested.

Last edited by Eunoterpsia; 04-13-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: to correct a spelling issue.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks guys. I think I'll try the brake cleaner followed by the Permatex with Maximum Oil Resistance. It may be postponing the inevitable but I'd rather do that 4 times instead of replacing the stator twice before a rebuild.
I put on a lot of miles (17K last year) and I want to keep this engine going without tearing it apart every year or two.

Oh and there really isn't any tension on these wires. They are loose after exiting the engine.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Replace the stator

Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
I have an oil leak at the front of my engine where the stator wires come out the primary case. (I have the Twin Cam engine) I think this is a common problem.
How do you fix it? Well the wires are encased in the rubber that should seal the hole. The wires are attached to the stator. So the right way to repair the leak is to replace the stator. This is an expensive little leak. According to the Harley Dealer it's:

Stator $164
Gasket $36
Tax $16
Total $216

Plus this is no small task. You have to remove the primary chain, compensator and stator. That's time consuming if you do it yourself or expensive if you pay someone to do it for you.

If that's the right way is there another way? Many Harley owners just let it go and add oil as necessary. The leak is in the bottom front so it doesn't really mess up the cycle or engine. I think this poorly designed oil seal is one of the main reasons Harleys have the reputation of "marking their spot".

Has anyone ever successfully addressed this leak without spending all this money and time?
That rubber that is leaking is soft. I can compress it with my finger, opening the gap more. I know there isn't much pressure on this seal but every engine built now a days has wires that need to go inside. Other manufacturers are able to keep it sealed.
Piece of cake: you must clean it extremely clean. I used carb spray and then lacquer thinner with a tooth brush. You have to get all around and under the lip of the rubber. Blow dry and repeat until it is OIL FREE. Then build a small pyramid of black rtv around it to about the size of a quarter and enclosing the wires. I use spit on my finger to smooth everything then,let it set until dry. Worked for me on two bikes.

The following users liked this post:
Durango Dave (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 PM
Wraith04
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Also recommend the silicone trick, make sure it's clean and you shouldn't have a problem, worked for mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Leak at Stator Wires