Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't tighten front fork bottoming cup bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default can't tighten front fork bottoming cup bolt

I'm in the middle of installing Progressive monotube front shocks, and I can't get the bolt that secures the bottoming cup to tighten. I've got it in place, but the cup is just spinning inside the lower so I can't properly torque it. Any suggestions???

Old 05-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Turn it upside down and put some weight on it. Having someone around to help would be good. I did an improvised clamp on a B&D workmate, Clamped lower with workmate tilted then sat on it to compress spring. Tightend right up

Old 05-01-2016, 03:08 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Turn it upside down and put some weight on it. Having someone around to help would be good. I did an improvised clamp on a B&D workmate, Clamped lower with workmate tilted then sat on it to compress spring. Tightend right up
So how do you like them? Stock length or lowered? What's the deal with the 1 clip vs 2 clips?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:20 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
So how do you like them? Stock length or lowered? What's the deal with the 1 clip vs 2 clips?
I'll chime in....have the standard height for a couple thousand miles. Had both 1 clip and 2 clip set up. For my weight 1 clip rides better.

At the end of the day keep the OEM set up and change to heavier oil, same effect.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:41 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Clean the inside out real well with brake clean or something. Then when you put the cup and tube and what not in screw the top cap into the slider a ways, flip it over the hand thread in the 6mm bolt, the when tight torque it down while applying pressure on it while it is upside down and that tube deal is on a piece of wood or something on the ground. You used the correct cup right? Mine called for stock bottom cup.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to Progressive about this, and they said to give it a quick zap with an impact driver. I was thinking of the same but didn't want to go there without some holy water sprinkled on the concept first.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:31 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I wouldn't hit it with the impact gun unless you have one of those rattle sockets that limits torque or you damage something or never get it loose. Use impact to remove not install. You will need air to get the required torque value, regular battery drill on impact setting I have found to have enough umph to remove screw but not enough power for get proper torque.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Done a ton of forks, you impact them off and back on.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SnoRider
I wouldn't hit it with the impact gun unless you have one of those rattle sockets that limits torque or you damage something or never get it loose. Use impact to remove not install. You will need air to get the required torque value, regular battery drill on impact setting I have found to have enough umph to remove screw but not enough power for get proper torque.
That was my concern too, but Progressive says they do this all the time. I'm not too worried about over-tightening because the shaft spins anyway which will limit, to a degree, how tight this bolt will get under an impact gun. I think if you're smart about it, and just give it a quick zap, it'll have the desired effect with no harm done.

There's no air in these monotubes.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:40 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Good to know, cause I used an impact to tighten the left leg when doing my monotubes (-1"). Torque wrench verified that it was between allowable torque spec. I figured that it wouldn't over tighten due to the spinning as well. They ride great and really appreciate the limited fork dive, especially when riding two up.

Quick Reply: can't tighten front fork bottoming cup bolt