Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clean oil filter change

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 AM
BigTwins
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, like that Moore Sensible Filter. The set up looks kinda cool too. Just wonder if the extra tubing would have any negative effects on the motor.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:28 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I just change the filter,let oil run into a catch pan under bike and then spray area off with brake clean.Cleans all oil off and then residue evaporates.No funnels,tin foil ,etc. to mess with.

The following users liked this post:
xcbullet (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTwins
Yes, like that Moore Sensible Filter. The set up looks kinda cool too. Just wonder if the extra tubing would have any negative effects on the motor.
From his web site:

Please Note.
We did much of our initial testing using clear hoses so that we could see exactly what was going on. Below is what we found:

When the engine starts, the supply hose fills in literally less than a second. It then takes several seconds to fill the oil filter (exactly as it does with the filter in its stock location). Lastly, the return line fills in that same less than a second. There is no appreciable difference in the time it takes to show oil pressure when running our kit as opposed to leaving the filter in its stock (hideous) location.

I recently put one on my Deluxe and am very please with the quality and results. I've got sets sitting on the shelf for the FLHTP and FLS to install on their next oil changes. If I had one bike and rode little during the summer I don't think it would be worth it to me. But with three bikes that my wife and I ride all year and put a lot of miles on them, I quickly got tired or the mess and went looking for a better solution than drink bottles, aluminum foil, special funnels,... I tried it all and ended up with Dan Moore.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

I use a pop bottle.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

i used 2 liter bottle the last time i did mine

Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Can't help but wonder if some of you guys claiming a "clean" change with any of the standard gizmos (pop bottle, orange Harley doohicky, or towels and aluminum foil) are really as "clean" I interpret your meaning. I have tried all of the above and still slop a few drops on the engine mount and mount plate with a few drips on the floor as a bonus. Either I am a total spastic or the level of "clean" is over stated. I have had a fair amount of practice, approaching the 80,000 mile service and have NEVER had a truly clean filter change with any of the above techniques.

The following 2 users liked this post by btsom:
CalgaryBikeBum (05-06-2016), kitt90 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Can't help but wonder if some of you guys claiming a "clean" change with any of the standard gizmos (pop bottle, orange Harley doohicky, or towels and aluminum foil) are really as "clean" I interpret your meaning. I have tried all of the above and still slop a few drops on the engine mount and mount plate with a few drips on the floor as a bonus. Either I am a total spastic or the level of "clean" is over stated. I have had a fair amount of practice, approaching the 80,000 mile service and have NEVER had a truly clean filter change with any of the above techniques.
Good question. I've never had a truly clean filter change, but the pop bottle is less messy than foil, cardboard, etc. I use brake cleaner to remove whatever the bottle doesn't catch.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:42 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,647 Likes on 4,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Another foil user, but additional tips don't hurt...thks @kitt90 for the input.
I have found on numerous occasions, that if I use this method, I don't have enough left over for my hat, and that is important!!

Old 05-04-2016, 04:57 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

It'll take a little practice but just spin the old one off super fast and the new one on even faster before any can drip!

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

I believe one of the points of the OP's post was to remove the VR. JMO, but that is too much work for me for a simple oil change. Foil, scratch awl, hammer and patience works well. Form the foil under the filter and route to a pan. Take the awl and hammer and poke a hole on the top edge of the filter in a downward manner. Spin the filter until the hole is now located on the bottom and tap another hole in what is now the top. Let it drain and go about pulling the oil pan drain plug to drain the pan. Once the filter is drained, spin it off while leaving the foil under it........no mess.

Quick Reply: clean oil filter change