Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak cable broke AGAIN!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Delicate piece? Be gentle? Don't leave it open when running? It should be able to handle regular use. The first time it broke I had a half helmet on the luggage rack. It should be able to hold that. What gets me is that when that cheap part breaks it breaks the Tour Pak. After the first one broke I have been very careful. Yesterday I carefully opened the Tour Pak and it broke and just flopped open.
Bumpandrun what do you use to hold the Tour Pak open?
Maybe I should get one of these:
I don't want a cheep part causing more damage elsewhere.
Yep it's a delicate piece........ All u have to look at it too see that. I sure as heII would not use one with a rack on the lid. I use the retractable ........but lift the lid and gently let it rest on the cable. I know all too well they break. I have fixed a few tour packs. But not my own. Like I said if you want to let it hang with weight on it....or running. It's gonna break. I change it out every 2 years if I still have the bike. Probably go back to the Heavy cable if u think you have a truck with a utility bed. Lmao.:

Old 05-26-2016, 03:41 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
Here is what I did. I added a short piece of para cord with two rubber covered clamps. Clamps were placed where there was already a bolt coming through the tour pak. It adds a little more security in case the cable breaks. It didn't cost much to add.

(apparently my earlier post never made it to light, so I'll write this up again)
I did something similar. I bought something like this (in essence elastic cord, but not really elastic - it could be used as a shoe lace, for instance). I threaded it around the 12V outlet (back side) plastic going into the side of the TP and used two small zip-ties to tighten the loop. The other end I tucked behind the screw at the top (when the lid is open) which goes into the backrest. Just loosened it a bit, wrapped the cord around it into a loop, lightly tightened the screw and then adjusted it in such a way that the oem-pull-back-cord was not entirely extended, yet the lid still open enough that it doesn't get blown shut by a little wind, not to mention falling on its own. Then zip-tied that end too and obviously tightened the screw all the way.

I chose orange as colour so that I can see should the cord get stuck between the lid and the TP (never happend so far). Also, that way I can see the cord easily and I now made it a habit to initiate the closing of the lid by pulling the cord towards me, into the TP and then catch the lid with my hand to gently close it. The cord then lies on top of whatever crap I have in the TP and doesn't use up any room.

This solution is super cheap, requires no drilling, no metal involved that could scratch somewhere or is more prevalent of sorts, is easily removed or replaced should the cord give up some day and it keeps the oem-pull-back-cord in place as a backup should the cord indeed fail. I should mention that I never leave the TP lid open when there is something on top -I would then hold it with my hand, just to be safe.

I am now wondering if I could wrap a rubber band around the cord at a certain position so that when the lid is opened the rubber band is stretched and would then pull in/down the cord automatically when the lid is closed (hey, lazy man here!). Haven't found a good place to attach the rb, though. But maybe I can wrap it around a strip of velcro which I can attach to the liner of the TP. Have to try that.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I just ordered the bracket. Not wanting to chance this