Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner fairing repair Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Inner fairing repair Ideas?

I noticed my right front speaker was flopping in the fairing so I took off the outer. I found that the top left plastic nubbin thingy(scietific name) broke off the inner fairing. I tried using some plastic weld epo epoxy and then clamping it with a c clamp to hold it untill it dried. How ever when I released the clamp this morning it broke off. I am thinking about going to the hardware store and getting one of those little nylon spacer thingys and drilling a little hole in my fairing and ptting a tiny screw thru that and the spacer with a nut to hold the speaker. What do you guys think? any other Ideas?
Bike is an 01 RG.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

How may mounts are holding the speaker? I'm thinking there are 3 or maybe 4? I can't remember, been a while since I had my SG apart. It was at least 3 though, the RG may be different but I thought they had the same speaker in them.

I think it'd be a shame to put a hole in the fairing, I'm surprised the remaining screws wouldn't hold it tight? You mentioned it was "Flopping" around? Are the other screws loose? Broken?

Seems to me the speaker should never be flopping around unless more than one screw is broken or missing?

As for a repair, is there any meat left to catch a screw in the fairing? If you changed the screw length maybe and put the broken piece in as a spacer, could you get it to bite enough without the screw coming through?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:48 AM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you try using some gasket cement to hold the speaker to the fairing?

The following users liked this post:
Lunchboxx (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 01:14 PM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by y2kflhr
can you try using some gasket cement to hold the speaker to the fairing?

Maybe something like that combined with a strap rigged in such a way to hold it in place? Copper strapping? Could connect it to another location that provides force in the right direction to hold the speaker in place.

Lunchboxx (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

I repair ABS parts frequently. Its very easy with the right stuff, unfortunately some of the stuff isn't cheap. The best epoxy(from my experience) for ABS is 3M part # 08237

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1414197...&ul_noapp=true

The gun for that dual-tube cartridge is pricey, but most any bodyshop should have it, and be willing to glue the piece for you if you buy the epoxy. Some may even have the epoxy on hand. Simply clean the area thoroughly with an alcohol based cleaner(or at least a cleaner not solvent based) and scratch the area around the break with 80 grit or rougher sandpaper BY HAND. Do not use and sander or grinder, as the plastic will melt instead of sand. Apply the epoxy in the break and around the area and let cure till it hardens (an hour or 2 normally), the you can drill sand or whatever you wish, and it should be as strong as ever.

Lunchboxx (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:45 PM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
I repair ABS parts frequently. Its very easy with the right stuff, unfortunately some of the stuff isn't cheap. The best epoxy(from my experience) for ABS is 3M part # 08237

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1414197...&ul_noapp=true

The gun for that dual-tube cartridge is pricey, but most any bodyshop should have it, and be willing to glue the piece for you if you buy the epoxy. Some may even have the epoxy on hand. Simply clean the area thoroughly with an alcohol based cleaner(or at least a cleaner not solvent based) and scratch the area around the break with 80 grit or rougher sandpaper BY HAND. Do not use and sander or grinder, as the plastic will melt instead of sand. Apply the epoxy in the break and around the area and let cure till it hardens (an hour or 2 normally), the you can drill sand or whatever you wish, and it should be as strong as ever.

I used this product many times along with the flexible type as well. Can only say good about 3m products.....

Lunchboxx (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:48 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I think the "nubbin" that you're talking about is referred to as a"boss".

Anyways, my Ultra turned over on my trailer and one of the "bosses" that secures the outer "batwing" fairing to the inner fairing was also broken.

I pulled the batwing fairing (in the winter) and brought it into the kitchen and used the "Professional" grade (best) Super Glue that I could find.

I used one application to bond the parts together and once that was dry, I put a second application around the break, and then a third and let dry for a few days.

Ire-installed the fairing and never had another issue with it.

I suggest that you don't over tighten the speaker mounting screws as your are actually trying to pull these pieces apart by doing so.
Just snug them and leave well enough alone.

Lunchboxx (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

The epoxy idea sounds good. Some Super Glue type products will also work on some or most plastic. I have saved a "boss" that broken off BUT left enough to run a machine screw tap to the bottom of the hole, now run the tap in the hole of the broken piece. Put the two pieces back together and run in a machine screw to check out your repair. If it looks good; glue it and screw it. After proper drying time remove the screw and select one that is WAY too long, apply some more glue and screw it back it good. When dry, cut off the screw head and you now have a stud in one of your speaker boss holes which will just simply tighten with a nut and washer rather than a screw. Poke a small wile down each hole and compare to your screws to be sure they can actually be tightened down enough.

Lunchboxx (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I posted this over on the RG forums too ..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mutazu-Vivid...dVcMpW&vxp=mtr

Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I fixed it! I used a nylon spcer and drille a tiny hole and put in a Stainless screw. I just need to fix it fast as I have an important trip coming up in acouple days. I plan on getting a new inner fairing one day anyhow. I like some of the aftermarket ones that fit 2 din stereos and four 7 inch speakers. No all I gotta do is convince the OL its a needed part. hahahaha

Quick Reply: Inner fairing repair Ideas?