Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Conversion Confusion, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
I am going to stay tuned on this post, I was thinking to add LED's to my head light.
I picked up an H11, H9, and an H4 wiring harness of eBay for $13. I figured i would make my own harness instead of cutting and splicing on new bike. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:53 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer

Originally Posted by Whodey
Is there that much of an improvement from the new dual halogen to the LED? I thought the new lights made the difference not worth the cost.
I had the Haymaker on my Iron and Super Glide and there is some difference at night. But for me the real benefit is during the day. back in 2013 my wife got a new car with the LED lights and she was following behind me as we merged into NYC traffic and I could see her clear as day with these lights.

Any bit to help keep the cagers off us. My buddy in Utah just got smacked on his Ducati today. Bike had 237 miles on it. Guy in the oncoming lane turned right into him.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Whodey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_ech110
I had the Haymaker on my Iron and Super Glide and there is some difference at night. But for me the real benefit is during the day. back in 2013 my wife got a new car with the LED lights and she was following behind me as we merged into NYC traffic and I could see her clear as day with these lights.

Any bit to help keep the cagers off us. My buddy in Utah just got smacked on his Ducati today. Bike had 237 miles on it. Guy in the oncoming lane turned right into him.
Good point. I have been going back an forth on if I want to spend the money but I was only thinking of how they help me at night. The cost is certainly worth it to be seen better.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Don81
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_ech110
A pic would be awesome. I followed my harness back until i lost it under the tank hoping for just that, a second connection point.

I picked up an H11, H9, and an H4 wiring harness of eBay for $13. I figured i would make my own harness instead of cutting and splicing on new bike.
Here you go. The wires that I scribbled red on are factory, I scribbled white on the new harness for the LED headlight. The connector is attached to a bracket under the radio. I just left the original headlight harness in there, unhooked the connector and plugged the new harness in.

Last edited by Don81; 05-23-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:39 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

I dont know fellas ... I think the leds suck hairy purple headed moose .

I want to know if I can dump those pieces of crap and swap to halogen.

Yes they are bright. But they do not project the light down the street at night.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer

Originally Posted by OldPhat
I am going to stay tuned on this post, I was thinking to add LED's to my head light.
Here is the wiring harness I came up with. The high and low now share the common. This is a little crude. I bought enough for two so I will make the second one cleaner with soldered connections and shrink wrap.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sumncguy

Yes they are bright. But they do not project the light down the street at night.
The one that HD sells for over $500 is garbage. The cheap Chinese ones for less than $100 are great. I've compared that side by side on my '14 compared to my buddies '16 and let's just say that he's pissed and I'm $400 richer than he is.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I do not have that new of a ride, mine is an 06 and I have the truck lite(kuryakyn phase 7) lamps....they are AMAZING...I would never go back...

Old 05-23-2016, 08:27 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Don81
The one that HD sells for over $500 is garbage. The cheap Chinese ones for less than $100 are great. I've compared that side by side on my '14 compared to my buddies '16 and let's just say that he's pissed and I'm $400 richer than he is.

Got a link ?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Don81
Road Captain

Got a link ?
I guess that would help huh?

Amazon.com: SUNPIE Black 7" Round Daymaker LED Projectior Headlight for Jeep Wrangler Harley Davidson Motorcycle: Automotive Amazon.com: SUNPIE Black 7" Round Daymaker LED Projectior Headlight for Jeep Wrangler Harley Davidson Motorcycle: Automotive

I think there is a chrome version to if that's your thing

Last edited by Don81; 05-24-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: LED Conversion Confusion, Please Help