Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyranny rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:50 PM
pureoper
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2010 flhr

Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pureoper
I do trips mostly on my bike,two up. I have used Amsoil,Mobile 1,recline and Harley synthetic. I have changed all my fluids probably twice as much as recommended. I ran a Hayden primary tensioner. It is possible that I have ran my belt a little tight, but I use the Harley adjuster tool and am pretty sure that I set it at spec. There is really no reason for such damages. Now my mechanic called me and says he might not be able to get my tranny apart without cracking the case because a bearing or race is frozen in the case. He said he would get back to me with options. Needless to say that I am not a happy guy right now.
==============================

Thanks for ans my questions.,sure seems you didnt abuse the bike at all & took very good care of it maint wise too .

With that i mind i agree with the IPB & Trans should not have gone bad at the mileage they did,thats for sure.

Sorry to hear your trans is not cooperating with the mechanic ,hope he's able to get the stuck bearing or race out without damaging the trans case.

Keep us up to date as you progress thru the trans rbld.

Good luck.

Scott

Old 05-28-2016, 05:58 PM
jumpinjack571
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do trips mostly on my bike,two up. I have used Amsoil,Mobile 1,recline and Harley synthetic. I have changed all my fluids probably twice as much as recommended. I ran a Hayden primary tensioner. It is possible that I have ran my belt a little tight, but I use the Harley adjuster tool and am pretty sure that I set it at spec. There is really no reason for such damages. Now my mechanic called me and says he might not be able to get my tranny apart without cracking the case because a bearing or race is frozen in the case. He said he would get back to me with options. Needless to say that I am not a happy guy right now.
Hey man just wondering if you were hearing noises from tranny as some people state or some don't hear any noise? I have a loud whine at only 18000 miles and can't figure what it is. Even hear it coasting in neutral with engine shut off. Replaced front wheel bearing and scrubbed belt. Loosened belt and still hear it. Thanks in advance and good luck...

JJ

Old 05-28-2016, 06:37 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Replace that auto tensioner in your primary with either a manual or a spring lauded one. The factory tensioner has no way to loosen up once it tightens. This is what causes the undue stress on the ipb, transmission main bearing and the left engine bearing.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,536 Likes on 3,054 Posts

And here I am with a '00 5 speed with 157,000 miles on it and the original IPB seal is finally starting to weep just a bit. It's strange that nobody wants to blame the 6 speed tranny itself even though Harley is now offering a modified main shaft for those rebuilding their tranny's that doesn't exhibit the wobble of the original oem shaft.

Interesting. Belts have always been adjusted too tight or too loose and yet IPB's and tranny mainshaft bearings just about ran forever. And then Harley introduced the 6 speed in the '06 Dyna and the IPB issues became apparent before the end of the model year. Let's key on the root cause here gentlemen.

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-28-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:55 AM
pureoper
Advanced

While my bike was on the lift idling in nuetral with the primary cover off,listening for where the noise was coming from,I turned the engine off,everything stopped turning except the rear wheel and the noise was still there.

The following users liked this post:
jumpinjack571 (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 01:16 AM
pureoper
Advanced

Anyone know what a new tranny from the factory costs?

Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 AM
pureoper
Advanced

Yes I was hearing a whining noise,or whirling noise like a bearing going out.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:24 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
And here I am with a '00 5 speed with 157,000 miles on it and the original IPB seal is finally starting to weep just a bit. It's strange that nobody wants to blame the 6 speed tranny itself even though Harley is now offering a modified main shaft for those rebuilding their tranny's that doesn't exhibit the wobble of the original oem shaft.

Interesting. Belts have always been adjusted too tight or too loose and yet IPB's and tranny mainshaft bearings just about ran forever. And then Harley introduced the 6 speed in the '06 Dyna and the IPB issues became apparent before the end of the model year. Let's key on the root cause here gentlemen.
===============================================

Thats some very good info to keep mind whe n it comes to IPB issues.

Scott

Old 05-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Terryjft
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know what a new tranny from the factory costs?
A couple of years ago, I was looking at reubild/new trans. Parts from HD are about $1500 for complete innards. Plus at least $350-500 in special tools. I found that Baker Drivetrain had a Rapid Reubild program. For about $600 with shipping, Baker rebuilt my trans with a warranty. With their new website, I can no longer find mention of this service, but I would give them a call.

Quick Reply: Tyranny rebuild