Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual headpipes...or so

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default True dual headpipes...or so

Anyone ever go from a 2-1-2 catless header (aftermarket) to a 2-2-2 (true dual) head pipe and really notice any change in "power"? I'm not a dyno guy, rather ride how it feels sorta thing.

I'm asking because I really love the sound of a true dual head pipe and I've heard so many conflicting stories. I'm currently running a 2-1-2 S&S headpipe.

Just post up, no one is gonna go to fists over it. Just curious.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:38 AM
Boom Daddy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went Rinehart classic true duals on my 2016 Electraglide with a sucker and SE Race Tuner. You are right you will get all kinds of opinions... Oh you got to go 2 into 1, fulsac, VH bla bla bla. It's all good. I could have spent my $ any way I wanted. I went with what I knew would give me great sound but turns out with a tune the damn heavy just hauls a$$. Had the tuner drop the idle to 950 and it sounds nasty. In fact everyone asks what cam I went to. When I tell them they don't believe me. Don't be scared of the TD. Haters will pretend they are so much "faster" than you lol. Be honest with yourself when was the last time you dragged a bagger? I can nail it and pass anything with ease whether in traffic on surface streets or at 70 on the Freeway... Oh and everyone will know you are there.

The following users liked this post:
DMetcalf (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 03:27 AM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by boom daddy
i went rinehart classic true duals on my 2016 electraglide with a sucker and se race tuner. You are right you will get all kinds of opinions... Oh you got to go 2 into 1, fulsac, vh bla bla bla. It's all good. I could have spent my $ any way i wanted. I went with what i knew would give me great sound but turns out with a tune the damn heavy just hauls a$$. Had the tuner drop the idle to 950 and it sounds nasty. In fact everyone asks what cam i went to. When i tell them they don't believe me. Don't be scared of the td. Haters will pretend they are so much "faster" than you lol. Be honest with yourself when was the last time you dragged a bagger? I can nail it and pass anything with ease whether in traffic on surface streets or at 70 on the freeway... Oh and everyone will know you are there.
^yes!!

Old 05-27-2016, 05:20 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom Daddy
Had the tuner drop the idle to 950 and it sounds nasty.
Who needs oil pressure, anyway?

Old 05-27-2016, 07:15 AM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I've seen a few videos where folks have done this with a V&H Fuel Pack. Not clear on it....but it does sound bad AF.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I replaced my stock exhaust with magna flow pro duel head pipe and there top gun mufflers. They do look good as well as sound great, nice low rumble when cruising and crack the throttle and they sound good and loud.
I did loose some bottom end torque.
I got a great deal , from a member here, on a pro pipe. I'm gonna see which exhaust I like better and sell the other. I'm looking for more low end torque and I'll get that from the pro pipe

Old 05-27-2016, 07:58 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Only need oil volume. At 950rpm a stock pump is still moving plenty of volume.
To the O.P. , if you like true duals then go for it. I've had both Rinehart true duals and a S&S 2-1-2 setup. I honestly notice no difference. I'm sure on paper my hp/torque curves may have changed but I can't tell by the seat of my pants.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls78
Anyone ever go from a 2-1-2 catless header (aftermarket) to a 2-2-2 (true dual) head pipe and really notice any change in "power"? I'm not a dyno guy, rather ride how it feels sorta thing.

I'm asking because I really love the sound of a true dual head pipe and I've heard so many conflicting stories. I'm currently running a 2-1-2 S&S headpipe.

Just post up, no one is gonna go to fists over it. Just curious.
If you like the sound of tru duals and your not racing the bike go for it.

Your not going to loose a noticeable difference.

I look at it like this, some like sound, some need every bit of HP and TQ.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts

I have had Rinehart TD, V&H big radius, and V&H power duals (x-pipe). I didn't notice much difference in the Rinehart and Power Duals, power and runability wise, but huge difference with the Big radius. All on Ultra's. Hated the Big Radius on a bagger, Really loud on one side of the bike, and the RPM Range was way up there. Not very streetable. It could go from 40 to 90 in an instant like the on-ramp to a freeway. Then you slow down and it is loud on the right side. I didn't like the Rinehart true duals due to the left pipe nearly burning my thigh. Always had to keep my left foot on the floorboard at stops. So my opnion is Either a true dual like the V&H Power Dual, or Rinehart X pipe (extreme?) or anything that goes under the bike is what I would recomment. That being said, I didn't notice the burn from the Rinehart on my pre-rushmore bike.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

There has been a lot of discussion on this and I believe the consensus is that with True Duals, like Dresser Duals you will lose some "power" compared to 2:1:2 or 2:1. On our bikes with a simple stage one it's most likely I wouldn't notice much. If I had a stage 4 and made the same change I'd probably be disappointed.

Give Fuel Moto a call and talk to someone that tunes for a living and see what they have to say.

I had several bikes with stage one and DD and now run Power Duals. The DD's do sound great and the bikes ran very good but now I can hear the radio so much better
Good Luck

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-33193-d....html#rushmore

Last edited by Vernal; 05-27-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: True dual headpipes...or so