Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Electra Glide rear tired wear on left side.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:28 AM
ButterBalzer
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Electra Glide rear tired wear on left side.

I have a 2015 Electra Glide will the stock Dunlop tires and I'm having some issues with tire wear on the rear tire on the left side.

It seems to be wearing prematurely and scalloping. My local dealer tells me it's my riding style and there's nothing wrong with my bike. I've ridden motorcycles all my life and I'm certain it's not my riding style. I keep the tire pressure at the manufacturer's recommended.

There's an 1/8" difference between the right and left side after 5000 miles with virtually no wear on the right. The tire wear is enough where I hear a humming going in the left-hand turns and by 7000 miles the tire is shot.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:43 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two things I'd look at first are belt tension and adjuster cams on the rear axle - are they relatively close?

The following users liked this post:
ButterBalzer (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 04:59 PM
ButterBalzer
Stage IV

same side just back a little farther. you can see quite clearly the cupping. the right side has absolutely no cupping.

yes, I've checked both of those and they are good. this is the second tire (both times left side) I've had issues with this on this bike. Harley went through the bike as well. the wear looks like the tires were under inflated but just on the left side.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

How is the front tire wearing?

Old 05-27-2016, 06:08 PM
ButterBalzer
Stage IV

great. I have 15000 miles on the front and no unusual wear.
question: did the pictures show up? it said I posted them but I only see the text.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Does bike pull to the left or goes straight whit no hands, if it's second tire same abnormal wear it's has to be something wrong with the suspension or rear swing arm but then bike won't track straight if anything is out of line.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:33 PM
ButterBalzer
Stage IV

truthfully, it seems too, but I'm not 100% sure. I think it rides pretty straight. I ride mostly country roads and it's hard to tell on them due to the crown of the road. when on the highway it will go very slowly to one side or the other. I've ridden bikes most of my life and it doesn't seem any worse than the others. that is something I will definitely check again next time I'm out. the dealer said they checked both of them out and they were okay.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ButterBalzer
same side just back a little farther. you can see quite clearly the cupping. the right side has absolutely no cupping.

yes, I've checked both of those and they are good. this is the second tire (both times left side) I've had issues with this on this bike. Harley went through the bike as well. the wear looks like the tires were under inflated but just on the left side.
You may want to try swapping the shocks from one side to the other. If the left side was internally weak, causing the tire to dribble on the left side so to speak, but if the tires alreading cupped it would be hard to tell unless it finally starts cupping the right side. I would definitely take the shocks to a suspension place and have them tested there's a way to Dino test them under loads, while you had them off check the swing arm bushings for excessive wear.