Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use down or synthetic down for mid layer?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:12 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Anyone use down or synthetic down for mid layer?

Anyone use a down or synthetic down like primaloft as a mid layer under their layers? I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on the weight of the leather "thinning" the down/synthetic causing it too loose its effectiveness. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:40 PM
black n white
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't say, I rode with a down jacket in the 70's when l didn't own leather. Today I ride with a textile jacket and electric jacket underneath. When it starts to loose its effectiveness, I turn the **** up a little more.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:57 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

Down looses it's warming ability when wet so probably does the synthetic kind. It also has to much bulk for me with a couple of layers under it and a leather jacket on top, it's beginning to look like the Michelin man. Back before I got heated gear, I would use lots of layers but with high humidity in the winter, I just couldn't get warm.
Heated gear is the way to to tour in cold weather. I use heated gloves and a jacket liner, and have never had my feet get cold or my legs because my core is warm.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:54 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

The new age synthetics are super warm. I have a 60 gram primaloft gold jacket that is about t shirt thick. I bought it cause you can pack it down to almost nothing. Put it on today in 50 degree weather and it's was nice at 65 I was hot and 70 i was starting to get a little swass. My old mans snowmobile leathers that he wore for years in subarctic Minnesota are lined with 100g thinsolate. When he passed I started using them for motorcycling....always warm and honestly no Michelin man here. But I got a new leather jacket not insulated and thought I would add this 60g primaloft gig underneath. The way it insulates though I wonder if because of the heavy leather if it would compress the primaloft too much causing it to lose effectiveness. Stays warm when wet not like down...which is why it is used by mountaineers over down and I believe why it was developed. It seems the FXR jacket or whatever it is called has a primaloft liner vest. A heated vest would be great, just not versatile for other things and I already run heated gloves and boot insoles that I like to have at different settings. Can't imagine adding more cords though and wouldn't want my gloves inline with my jacket.

Last edited by SnoRider; 05-27-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:32 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The absolute best mid-weight material to use in layers is made out of a polypropylene fabric. It's made from recycled 2 liter pop bottles, holds body heat very well, wicks away any moisture and breathes better than anything I've ever had before. Plus it's not all that expensive to purchase a set or three, usually around $35 for top and bottoms.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 AM
andy57
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a North Face Thermoball jacket as a mid layer and it works very well. It is synthetic and when its not being used packs down to a very small size.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:41 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I've used both down and synthetic under my riding jackets. Just remember, those types of material get their insulating value from their loft. So make sure your riding jacket is large enough so it doesn't squish the down flat.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:35 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

I agree poly is good but wouldn't use it as a mid layer only a base layer. I prefer Marino wool over poly as a base layer by far. Andy and tappets hit on what I was looking for. North faces thermoball is comparative to the mid layer I bought so I am glad to see that he found it to work out, tappets post is what I am questioning...the loft. Just wanted to see if people are finding it ineffective due to the leather reducing the loft. Maybe this weekend I can get out and try it.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

FYI the mid layer is patagonias nano puff.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:38 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

It would be nice to have a mid layer that takes up almost no room in the saddlebag otherwise I go with my good old standby Marino or fleece