Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Ultra Limited Exhaust Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Dobe66
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
My suggestion is call Fuel Moto and discuss a tuner, head pipe, mufflers and air cleaner.
Didn't start out that way but that's the way I ended up. Check out the parts for sale as a member is selling, at a good price, the e-series slipons. As others have said, sound is very subjective but I've received a lot of compliments on mine. Also a good tune is worth the cost. A friend and I had ours tuned together at Lone Wolf, one of the best around. He said that he had not seen a bike that breathed as well as mine with the Fuel Moto products.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:48 AM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a 2012 Ultra Limited new. Pretty disappointing bike right out of the box, very thirsty and WAY down on power for what it was.

I started out by gutting out the CAT and putting a PC-5 on it with a custom tune, then added 4" Rinehart 4" mufflers. Sounded pretty good and really helped with the heat from the head pipes but still seriously lacking in real performance.

Next I put a SE air cleaner on it, the Vance and Hines X pipe, and switched to the Power Vision tuner. That really helped for fuel economy but still not making nearly the power that I thought it should. I was able to data log/custom tune with the PV tuner and get the fuel economy up into the 41-44mpg range. As delivered from HD it was lucky to get 35mpg riding it very gently, and barely 40mpg's with the upgrades and PC-5 tuner on it. The engine always "felt" like it was lethargic, make decent power, but no real big power anyplace.

I was told by Fuel Moto and several shops that work on HD's that the 2012 103 used emission cams in them, and that they needed to be upgraded so that all the work I'd done could show some good results.

Unfortunately I sold the bike instead of putting better cams in it........Cliff

Old 05-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff R
I bought a 2012 Ultra Limited new. Pretty disappointing bike right out of the box, very thirsty and WAY down on power for what it was.

I started out by gutting out the CAT and putting a PC-5 on it with a custom tune, then added 4" Rinehart 4" mufflers. Sounded pretty good and really helped with the heat from the head pipes but still seriously lacking in real performance.

Next I put a SE air cleaner on it, the Vance and Hines X pipe, and switched to the Power Vision tuner. That really helped for fuel economy but still not making nearly the power that I thought it should. I was able to data log/custom tune with the PV tuner and get the fuel economy up into the 41-44mpg range. As delivered from HD it was lucky to get 35mpg riding it very gently, and barely 40mpg's with the upgrades and PC-5 tuner on it. The engine always "felt" like it was lethargic, make decent power, but no real big power anyplace.

I was told by Fuel Moto and several shops that work on HD's that the 2012 103 used emission cams in them, and that they needed to be upgraded so that all the work I'd done could show some good results.

Unfortunately I sold the bike instead of putting better cams in it........Cliff
Cliff I'm with you. imo the 2012's actually need an aftermarket set of cam's such as andrews 48's, woods 222's or even SE255's would help as long as they are properly tuned !!!!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I have Rush BL's with 2.25" baffles, gutted head pipe and Fuelmoto AC on my 12' Limited and it runs awesome. It makes my 14' SGS look sick with Bassani DNT's, S&S Power Tune Duals and Big Sucker AC.

Sorry, I ain't buying what Cliff is saying ..... my 12' performs fantastic.

Last edited by Beaux; 05-29-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:20 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
I have Rush BL's with 2.25" baffles, gutted head pipe and Fuelmoto AC on my 12' Limited and it runs awesome. It makes my 14' SGS look sick with Bassani DNT's, S&S Power Tune Duals and Big Sucker AC.

Sorry, I ain't buying what Cliff is saying ..... my 12' performs fantastic.
Was your 12 dyno tuned ? Also you have the 2.25" baffles which is what you need.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:44 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

OP don't know anything about the RC stuff,but you can't go wrong with FM.Customer service is what it is about these days and no one can beat them.
Fm head pipe,4inch dyno tune mufflers,pv with total tune,the bike will run great.

Don't know either about the smog cams,bike hauls my 300 lb fat a-- down the road just fine.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:12 AM
ChrisBPhotog
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cliff you expresses my sentiment exactly. I love the bike but I'm barely getting 35mpg's and the performance isn't what I thought it would be. I wanted to keep my cost low and do things in stages. Starting with a slip on just to give the bike a nice exhaust note. But the more I read and from what everyone is saying on forums to get good performance requires much more.
I still think I might start with a slip on but then add headers and a tuner in the near future. Once I have all the parts I'll make an appointment with Dave Stoddart at Pocono Harley so that he can work his magic.

I still like RC Components, for the price point I really like the sound.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Was your 12 dyno tuned ? Also you have the 2.25" baffles which is what you need.
No dyno, all I did was use the map Jamie supplied and did 1 autotune. It ran so much better than stock that I just left it there and I'm completely satisfied. I've rode enough of my buddies bikes and my 2 to say my 12 is solid and strong.

Originally Posted by ChrisBPhotog
Thanks Cliff you expresses my sentiment exactly. I love the bike but I'm barely getting 35mpg's and the performance isn't what I thought it would be.
My 12' average 41mpg ......................

Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Just an FYI, we will be releasing a new exhaust system the first part on June. Stay tuned...

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

My `12 has Rinehart slimline duals with 4'' Rinehart mufflers.
It's louder but man does it run better. I also have a K&N filter
with a V&H fuelpak. I'm not disappointed.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ultra Limited Exhaust Suggestions