Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misfiring

Ok have a question for you mechanical types.

I replaced the cams in my bike and upgraded the bearings along with putting on some full dresser duals since I took the exhaust off. Used some S&S quickee adjustable pushrods in there and am pretty sure I had the turns right on them.

Problem is that after I got it all back together it misfires at all RPM ranges on me. I am about to open her back up to diagnose, but I am a simple DIYer and this is my first engine job.

I have pulled plugs and saw no build up and the porcelain is good on them, so guessing from there its' not the plugs (or maybe the wire too based on that?).

It's a 2011 Road King Classic with the 103 and Stage 1 (high flow air cleaner and V&H big oval slip ons). Other than that it is pretty bone stock besides my newly added cams.

So what would cause the misfire? Anything I should be looking for in there that would cause this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Staylebait; 05-28-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added year of bike.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Year of bike?

Old 05-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser

Sorry forgot to post that, editing now.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:59 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

If it were me I'd install a new set of plugs. Make sure you installed the push rods in the proper places.The intake and exhaust push rods are different lengths. Check that too. Cam timing may also be off 1 tooth. How long has the bike been sitting. Could be a fuel issue. What kind of tuner are you using? Do you even have a tuner? Thats all I have but there are many here smarter than me that can help out too. Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nytryder
If it were me I'd install a new set of plugs. Make sure you installed the push rods in the proper places.The intake and exhaust push rods are different lengths. Check that too. Cam timing may also be off 1 tooth. How long has the bike been sitting. Could be a fuel issue. What kind of tuner are you using? Do you even have a tuner? Thats all I have but there are many here smarter than me that can help out too. Hope this helps.
Have replaced plugs and wires just to be safe.

I made sure cams were right on timing-wise about 10 times.

Bike was sitting less than a week, so doubt it was fuel issue.

No tuner at the moment, but was going to get dyno tuned once I get it running. I have noticed it is making a noise doesn't sound normal from either the lifters or pushrods. So I was going to pull the pushrods tonight and redo them to be sure.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:28 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

no way without altering the fuel injection that you will get proper running with your changes.

and you may cause damage or problems to the motor.

mike

Old 05-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser

Well I know it won't be running ideal, but it won't be misfiring like it is when I get it running. The plan was to get it in a shape where I can get it dyno tuned, right now that's far from the case.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

without some kind of tuning the fuel delivery AND ignition timing won't be correct for your motor.

it just will not be.

so you now have the possibilities of

wrong fuel delivery
wring spark timing
wrong valve timing/lift

add the characteristics of your new pipes, and if other than stock type the plugs and wires ( see ion sense)

misfiring can be a result of so many things that an experienced hand may have trouble telling the cause of the fault- too much fuel, too little fuel, valve held open...or closed or not enough ( all cam/pushrod) air leaks- confused ecm etc etc etc

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-28-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:02 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What cams? You are going to have to get a tuner!!!!! I wouldn't even run it without doing so as everything has changed!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:33 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

So true. Just going from a 96 to a 103 would require a tuner. Then add cams on top of that, most likely that is tour problem. As mentioned above do not run that engine at all. Trailer it to a competent dyno man an get the bugs worked out before your new top end is junk.

Quick Reply: Misfiring