Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire prices!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Tire prices!

When visiting the dealer today I got a quote on new tires mounted and balanced knowing probably be needing them by fall.
$785 bucks!! Really? Seriously? WTF?
I just had 4 new 265/75/16 10 ply put on my pickup for less than that.
Well, I wont be bending over and taking that anytime soon. Whats the scoop on an OEM type aftermarket tire within reason?

Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,392 Likes on 21,384 Posts

Buy some Avon's or American Elite's and have your indy put em on.
Lots of threads on this.
You'll save a couple hundred @least.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:02 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Or, do what I did.

I went to my dealer first, and was quoted $790 for a pair of Michelin Commander IIs on my Super Glide. Then I went to the local HondaYamaZukiBMW dealer (if they can mount tires on a freakin' Gold Wing, they can do a Harley, eh?), and was quoted $440.

Even worse, the dealer told me that I'd have to sign a waiver relieving them of any responsibility for the tires and mounting, because, and I'm quoting the Service Manager: "They don't say Harley-Davidson on the side". WTF.

After I bought the tires at the competing dealer, I took the cost back to the GM at my dealership, and now they're doing 15% off and free mounting.

Squeaky wheel and all, y'know. Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

The following users liked this post:
Just Me (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 12:06 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Or, do what I did.

I went to my dealer first, and was quoted $790 for a pair of Michelin Commander IIs on my Super Glide. Then I went to the local HondaYamaZukiBMW dealer (if they can mount tires on a freakin' Gold Wing, they can do a Harley, eh?), and was quoted $440.

Even worse, the dealer told me that I'd have to sign a waiver relieving them of any responsibility for the tires and mounting, because, and I'm quoting the Service Manager: "They don't say Harley-Davidson on the side". WTF.

After I bought the tires at the competing dealer, I took the cost back to the GM at my dealership, and now they're doing 15% off and free mounting.

Squeaky wheel and all, y'know. Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.
Your "dealer" at its Spokane location wanted over $400. for a rear tire install if I carried in the rim. I went Darkside and did it myself.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:12 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Your "dealer" at its Spokane location wanted over $400. for a rear wheel install if I carried in the rim. I went Darkside and did it myself.
Yup, I know the owner well, and their business model has always been MSRP or gtfo, we'll build the business by giving the best customer service in the country. And, I'm not sure if you know this, but they were #1 in the US for sales in the first quarter. So, overall, their strategy is definitely working. (Although they recently divorced, and Beth owns another dealership in the midwest, and Greg is the sole owner of Lone Wolf.)

How long ago did you get that quote? When I showed the price to our local GM early this year, and then told him that the competitor was selling over 800 tires per year, (and this is a SMALL town), he went to the owner and the senior GM, told them the situation, how much business they were missing, and now they're willing to actually compete.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Yup, I know the owner well, and their business model has always been MSRP or gtfo, we'll build the business by giving the best customer service in the country. And, I'm not sure if you know this, but they were #1 in the US for sales in the first quarter. So, overall, their strategy is definitely working. (Although they recently divorced, and Beth owns another dealership in the midwest, and Greg is the sole owner of Lone Wolf.)

How long ago did you get that quote? When I showed the price to our local GM early this year, and then told him that the competitor was selling over 800 tires per year, (and this is a SMALL town), he went to the owner and the senior GM, told them the situation, how much business they were missing, and now they're willing to actually compete.
Not hard to believe when you are the only Dealer within well over 100 miles and located in a fairly large city. Quote was last year. Went Darkside for $75.00

Old 05-28-2016, 12:37 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
When visiting the dealer today I got a quote on new tires mounted and balanced knowing probably be needing them by fall.
Well, I wont be bending over and taking that anytime soon. Whats the scoop on an OEM type aftermarket tire within reason?
Dennis Kirk or Jake Wison will have the best prices and delivery. Fresh tires and sell branded tires. Harley dealer or Indy will mount and balance for about $80 ea

Last edited by checkers; 05-28-2016 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ronbeejer (06-07-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 12:48 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Not hard to believe when you are the only Dealer within well over 100 miles and located in a fairly large city. Quote was last year. Went Darkside for $75.00
I'm seriously considering darkside. Now that you've had it on for a while, how do you like it? Handling? I assume you can feel some extra "stability" when riding in a straight line, since you're on the flat cross section of the tire, but what about in the curves?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:00 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

revzilla.com and have dealer install.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:26 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Dennis Kirk or Jake Wison will have the best prices and delivery. Fresh tires and sell branded tires. Harley dealer OR iNDY will mount and balance for about $80 ea

Last edited by checkers; 05-28-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire prices!