Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani dnt first review

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Thanks Beaux. I didn't realize they all had 3-step baffles. Those TTI might do the trick now that I see where we can mount them. I'm going to order them today. For $22 (forgot the "W" is $4 more) its worth a shot and I've been happy with them in the past.

My header still has the cat so that may save my low end a bit....until I switch to a catless ceramic header....ugh. May have to rethink that part. If I can get the heat down a bit maybe I'll leave the cat alone as it runs strong with it currently.

I'm glad to hear that. 3K is cruising speed on my commute so a sweet spot around there would work out great. Ordering TTIs today too. They come in different sizes but i think the. 258s (2 and 5/8 th inch) should fit. ideally you'll have no more than a 1/4 inch between the outside of the insert and the inner pipe wall. One benefit for me is that my current pipes are already costing me a bit of low end so these DNTs might be an improvement on my set up....ignorance could be bliss keep us posted on your experiance and enjoy the ride.
Will do, probably gonna order the 258 and was thinking the middle one also, think 158, that way i can try each to see if either performs better. Just got back from a quick ride to the depot, and it seems the more I ride the better it seems to perform, at least that's what my head keeps telling me

Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Thanks Beaux. I didn't realize they all had 3-step baffles. Those TTI might do the trick now that I see where we can mount them. I'm going to order them today. For $22 (forgot the "W" is $4 more) its worth a shot and I've been happy with them in the past.

My header still has the cat so that may save my low end a bit....until I switch to a catless ceramic header....ugh. May have to rethink that part. If I can get the heat down a bit maybe I'll leave the cat alone as it runs strong with it currently.

I'm glad to hear that. 3K is cruising speed on my commute so a sweet spot around there would work out great. Ordering TTIs today too. They come in different sizes but i think the. 258s (2 and 5/8 th inch) should fit. ideally you'll have no more than a 1/4 inch between the outside of the insert and the inner pipe wall. One benefit for me is that my current pipes are already costing me a bit of low end so these DNTs might be an improvement on my set up....ignorance could be bliss keep us posted on your experiance and enjoy the ride.

At 3,000 rpm I have 98 rwt and peak torque occurs around 3,600 rpm.

Throttle response at highway speeds, whether in 5th or 6th gear, is very strong. No comparison at all to how the bike performed in stock trim, of course I didn't start with the 103 HO like some of you have.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

More riding = more liking...that's s great equation right now. If you think the 258s will fit in the pipe comfortably, those should give you the best benefit. Too much room around the TTI will generally render them less effective. I have the 158s in a Sportster stock slip-on which should be considerably tighter than our DNT. For the price it couldnt hurt to get both, but i think you'll favor the 258 if they fit right. I also recommend getting the "W" pattern.

The part I hate is drilling out the mount bolt hole if its not wide enough (needs to be 3/8 if I remember right)....especially on a pretty pipe. Although it's easy and turns out fine in the end. Maybe the DNT won't need drilling.

Last edited by Thingfish; 05-29-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM
glock35
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had my DNT's on for about 1500 miles now. I didn't notice any loss of low end, however I don't have a dyno to show it. I'm using the FP3 and the auto tune has given me good results. I have noticed that the more miles I put on them, the better it seems to feel. I experienced loss of low end on my Dyna with pipes, so I familiar with what it is like. If I wasn't happy with the DNT's I was going to go with a 2-1 like my Dyna, but I can say I am happy with them and won't be switching. I also realize that a 2-1 would give me more, but the DNT's haven't let me down.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

That's awesome Glock. Where would you rate the volume and tone at cruising and freeway speeds? Anything you'd compare them to or away from?

All over this thread today because I'm stuck off the bike on a beautiful day and I can't just shut up and wait for my pipes to get here Tuesday!!!

Last edited by Thingfish; 05-29-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:38 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I've been reading through this thread, along with others. I'm one of the few that didn't like the sound of CFR's when i had them briefly. I'm currently running V&H Dresser Duals with MGS slip ons with the loud baffle. More than happy with the sound at idle and when giving it a twist, but I am missing the deep sound i had when I had the V&H Hi-Outputs w/Dresser Duals.

After reading that the DnT's sound a little different from the CFR's I'm hoping they might be what I'm looking for. A couple sound clips i listened to the DnT's seem to have a little more crackle at idle than the CFR's. And what about the new Jackpot Hi-Rollers?

Any way I am looking for a cross of these 2 setups I've had:

I've also tried Rush Big Louie's and V&H OS 450's.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I just want to make it clear that if I lived in a less rigorous area I'd probably be fine with these pipes but living in an area were hills are prevalent they just don't appear to have enough back-pressure to pull upon load. My issue is hills and we have a lot of them. My 12 never gives up no matter the starting rpm I have in the higher gears, it takes the fuel on and pulls. My 14 gives up way too easy in the higher gears on a laborious hill.

I take hills on with my 12' in 6th that require a down shift on the 14', that just isn't going to cut it with me living in W PA.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:14 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

How accurate is the sound in the video for the ones that have the DnT's? Granted it's a 95" motor, but it looks like it has a true dual set up and supposedly no motor work done. If this is pretty accurate, I'm ordering a set.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain

Originally Posted by glock35
I have had my DNT's on for about 1500 miles now. I didn't notice any loss of low end, however I don't have a dyno to show it. I'm using the FP3 and the auto tune has given me good results. I have noticed that the more miles I put on them, the better it seems to feel. I experienced loss of low end on my Dyna with pipes, so I familiar with what it is like. If I wasn't happy with the DNT's I was going to go with a 2-1 like my Dyna, but I can say I am happy with them and won't be switching. I also realize that a 2-1 would give me more, but the DNT's haven't let me down.
Same feeling I have about them. At first I thought the bike was very sluggish on the bottom end, but after a few rides I didn't even think about it and the bike seemed to perform better each ride

Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain

More riding = more liking...that's s great equation right now. If you think the 258s will fit in the pipe comfortably, those should give you the best benefit. Too much room around the TTI will generally render them less effective. I have the 158s in a Sportster stock slip-on which should be considerably tighter than our DNT. For the price it couldnt hurt to get both, but i think you'll favor the 258 if they fit right. I also recommend getting the "W" pattern.

The part I hate is drilling out the mount bolt hole if its not wide enough (needs to be 3/8 if I remember right)....especially on a pretty pipe. Although it's easy and turns out fine in the end. Maybe the DNT won't need drilling.
Think I will order the w and q 258 inserts. One says it deepens the sound a bit, the other quiets them down a touch. $40 for both so I will see which I like better. No worries drilling the pipe, all u are doing is expanding the existing hole so pretty brainless and hard to screw up

Quick Reply: Bassani dnt first review