Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley 'mapping' vs. Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:38 AM
alandchris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley 'mapping' vs. Dyno

I have a '16 CVO Limited. Had the dealer put true dual (not the cross overs) headers going into 4" Rineharts. Screaming Eagle tuner installed. They put some map into the bike did not work. Had way to much decel popping. I had them check it again, they changed the mapping, now not too much decel popping but sometimes when I throttle it from a stop, it feels like the bike wants to stall out - not all the time. I remember years ago a guy name 'Dr Dyno' who was one of the best ? on the dyno... Anyone have a similar situation - should I go to a dyno guy instead of try this / try that at the dealer ? I guess what I'm really asking is - did anyone do something similar with good luck - maybe I should go back to the stock headers instead..... I'm not sure if the Harley maps really work for this configuration.

Last edited by alandchris; 05-30-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Go with a good Dyno, that is precise, what the dealer is putting in is canned maps that are "ballpark", or if they are using a Dyno are not very good at it.
Canned maps are like the difference in buying a suit off the rack vs having it fitted. Nuff said. Good luck yours is just needing a fine tune.

The following users liked this post:
! rock103 ! (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

For what you paid for Harley to do their environmentally friendly tune you could have gotten a tuner and skipped all the issues. Not trying to knock what you did but there are better options out there brother

Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Go to a reputable tuner. Been there done that.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:28 AM
alandchris
Advanced

appreciate the responses... i'll ask the dyno guy when i find one, but anyone know if the screaming eagle tuner is acceptable for most/any dyno tuners - or would it be advisable to replace it with a power commander etc.

ps. this dealer has done work on many of my bikes over 15 years, even a similar job that I'm going thru now - this is my first problem with them. dyno is the way to go, now to find a good one in the nj/ny/pa area.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:35 AM
JoeAverage
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by alandchris
I have a '16 CVO Limited. Had the dealer put true dual (not the cross overs) headers going into 4" Rineharts. Screaming Eagle tuner installed. They put some map into the bike did not work. Had way to much decel popping. I had them check it again, they changed the mapping, now not too much decel popping but sometimes when I throttle it from a stop, it feels like the bike wants to stall out - not all the time. I remember years ago a guy name 'Dr Dyno' who was one of the best ? on the dyno... Anyone have a similar situation - should I go to a dyno guy instead of try this / try that at the dealer ? I guess what I'm really asking is - did anyone do something similar with good luck - maybe I should go back to the stock headers instead..... I'm not sure if the Harley maps really work for this configuration.
Have you considered getting an FP3 and auto tuning the bike? While I don't have the true dual header pipes, which I'm sure make a world of difference, I have the open air intake and 4" Rineharts on my 16 Limited. The dealers canned download was crap and the FP3 Autotune made my bike run like it should.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Youre going to get a lot of opinions on this. I have been down this road many times. Ive had SERT That tuners hate because its obsolete, ive had PCV and that just tricks the ecm to react differently. HD people dont like them because its not theirs. Personally now that I have a stock 12 CVO and wiil eventually just put the fullsac header with the larger baffles in my cvo cans (now have the 1-3/4 baffle with x over), I will go with TTS Mastertune. Its made by the same guy who wrote sert and seprt for HD before they parted ways.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:17 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

you say you have the screamin eagle tuner. which one? there are two, one is the performance tuner, and the other is the street tuner. one is definitely better than the other.

plus, you need a good dyno tune.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:30 PM
alandchris
Advanced

regarding which sert is it: it's a super tuner pro - '32109-08C'

as for the FP3 - i've always stayed away from V&H tuners since a bud of mine had a fuelpak go south on him while in the middle of Maine a few years back. maybe the FP3 is better, and it seems simple.... would like to go with the sert/dyno as a first shot

regarding the TTS, i'll have to look into that.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

IMHO, call Fuelmoto and get a Power Vision. They load a tune from a vast library into the tuner. You load it into the ECM and auto tune. Their hallmark is customer service and add 1 year to the PV warranty. For a simple stage 1, the PV is great and I'd trust that product and its distributors a lot more than most dyno tuners. The Power Vision is fun to use and it supports any changes to your motor- Fuelmoto can get you where you need to be. They also sell most competitive offerings and can fit you into any tuner you need.

Quick Reply: Harley 'mapping' vs. Dyno