Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Paint Defender Spray Film on fairing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts
Default 3M Paint Defender Spray Film on fairing

Applied to a 2012 Ultra fairing.

Maybe there are 100s of threads on this (?) but, nice weekend project for the DIYer.

I tried using this on my truck before, but did it in Fall and it was too chilly to cure properly. I got several cans on sale at Amazon last year, so, decided to put on the bike fairings as they get the sh*t beat out of them on trips w/ rocks/bugs etc.

Treating the truck hood was tons of work: taping off, covering everything w/ plastic (if you've done it you know). The bike was easier. Remove fairing, and minimal taping required. Just tape off headlight area and top area where windshield mounts, that's it.

Anyway, I put it in the yard to spray (set it on a bucket) and got a gnat or two in the stuff when it was wet. Once it dries clear and after the first ride it won't be noticeable Nothing is perfect but about to take a 5000-10000 mile trip out east and after past experiences touring on this Ultra, wanted to protect the fairing a bit more.

I should add: I had to buy normal masking tape to tape off the headlight area. The blue painters tape that is suggested wouln't stick to many areas. It seemed to work on the top of the fairing but not on the curvy parts.

Pics....

3M Paint Defender. Videos on Youtube about hot to apply it (to vehicle hoods etc)

Need to tape and wax (wax provided in kit). If you don't wax, I guess you cannot remove the stuff in a year or two (or remove as easily)

After spraying. Its thick in some areas, but it dries clear and it is really for 'protection' so if not flawless I wasn't too worried.

After drying for several hours. Takes 1-4 days to cure. Need to put back in direct sunlight today, can reinstall on the bike Monday.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:53 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Application videos for vehicles. Sorry, they're Canadian (can't find US one) so its metric lol.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

i might have to look into that.. texas has bug out the anus..

Old 06-17-2016, 10:00 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
i might have to look into that.. texas has bug out the anus..
ya. After pulling fairing and giving it a really, really good cleaning and waxing it, it was evident how many rock chips my fairing has at only 25k miles. This should help. Was hoping it might help some here.

Will post updates this Fall or next summer on how it holds up. On vehicles they say to reapply 1x a year. But as I only ride the bike 1/2 the year (in MN) I may leave it on for 2 years....will see.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
...... as I only ride the bike 1/2 the year (in MN) I may leave it on for 2 years....will see.
....... be careful, that could void the warranty !

Old 06-17-2016, 11:31 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Sounds like something to try on the rear fenders of the TriGlide that are susceptible to chipping.

Although Amazon sells the accessories, they don't sell the film spray. Where did you all get it?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:48 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by groupw
....... be careful, that could void the warranty !
not worried about warranty on fairing, only on engine etc. Fairing already chipped etc from roadwear.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sounds like something to try on the rear fenders of the TriGlide that are susceptible to chipping.

Although Amazon sells the accessories, they don't sell the film spray. Where did you all get it?
Ya, don't see it on Amazon anymore, dunno why though I got it there a year ago. You can buy your own plastic at any Menards/Lowes in the paint section. No need for the big spray handle they sell IMO.

I do see it on Ebay and at local Auto parts stores....can was about $25 if I recall. There was some buy 2 get 1 free thing going on, so, got 3 cans. 1 can will easily treat 2 fairings I'm guessing. Will hit the other bike next week.

Fenders- if you can't remove them from the bike, you'll have to cover the whole bike w/ plastic to prevent overspray etc. Thats one reason the fairing was easy, could easily remove it from the bike.

Last edited by F150HD; 06-17-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Wanted to post an update. Sprayed prior to an east coast trip last summer. Found once I hit rain I sprayed it too thin as it became milky in color again. BUT, when it would dry it was fine.
Today I pulled it off the fairing to re-apply. It looks like it did a pretty good job of protecting the fairing!

I did this on my 2008 but sprayed it MUCH thicker. Haven't had that in the rain yet, but, cant tell its even on there unless you rub your hand across the fairing. Will post an update once I have that bike in a good rain.

you apply WAX before you spray. If you don't, you cannot peel this off (easily). The kit contains 3M synthetic wax but have read any wax works.

Last edited by F150HD; 06-14-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

On a Google, looks like they're selling this again. Seemed like it disappeared for awhile. I think it was $10ish a can when I bought a few cans.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Paint-...-Film/36141682

Pretty sure there are similar products on the market like this.

You don't need a 'kit' just buy blue paint tape at hardware store and use a plastic grocery bag over headlight. Tape it up well.

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Defender Spray Film on fairing