Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Your Own Oil Change While Touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt
I didn't ask, "should I do an oil change..," I asked if the new Rushmore multi-tool toolkit has what I need to perform an oil change. I'm fully aware that there would need to be a catch pan for the oil.

I'm familiar with the properties of synthetic oil. It just wouldn't be that big of a deal to dump the oil and purchase fresh, provided I didn't change the oil filter. Since everyone thinks it's no big deal to go 8K - 10K miles with synthetic oil, surly the old filter & the little oil remaining in the filter would be inconsequential. Now, ,back to my original question. Does anyone know if you can you perform an oil change (minus filter change) on the road using the new Rushmore Multi-Tool toolkit?
If you are such a know-it-all why don't you get off your @ss and go look for yourself? Don't be such a frickin' d-bag when people are nice enough to give you good advice.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:09 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
why would you do this? service the bike before you leave. Are you riding 5000 miles? even 6000, on the road would be fine, (especially using synthetic oil). there is really no need to change on the road, and really at that time stop in at a dealer, tell them all you want is an oil change, and its not all that much money, for the total job. Make it easier on yourself and enjoy the trip, not worrying if you can change your own oil. Even as a professional mechanic, I wouldn't do that, and I do all the work on my bikes.

the bike is going to be just fine with the longer interval for one time like that. the fact that your miles will be extended freeway driving, you will be burning off excess fuel contamination, and moisture.the bike is not going to blow up going 1000 miles past. Some people go 10,000 miles between changes, (I don't recommend that!!) and the bike is fine. (at least for a while!) Don't sweat the one time longer interval. I sure wouldn't
Good advice............

Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

If you don't know what tools you need, maybe you shouldn't.