Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by the wild hog
I don't know how you park a bike without backing in.........
Dead simple FFS. Get off it and push it backwards.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 PM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You should not be 'backing up' while sitting on your bike! That is bad practice and can lead to disappointment. I don't believe any bike training course teaches it. If you were my size you would have backed up your bikes out of the saddle from day one! I can't flat foot my Glide and have no need to......
Hey! GRbrown. You should retract this statement. I've read most of your comments and statements, they are all good and make sense. Except this one! I dont think this is you.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:30 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

Dead simple FFS. Get off it and push it backwards.
That could be way more disappointing. So I get off the 900 lb RG, get in front of the handlebars and push it? I could understand standing next to it and pulling it back, but I wouldn't. Way easier to sit on the bike and push against my backrest.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
That could be way more disappointing. So I get off the 900 lb RG, get in front of the handlebars and push it?
Nope, you wheel it from beside it. You've apparently never done a bike training course. Try pushing it backwards up a slope while sitting on it. If you've been backing up like that from day 1 I can understand why you think it may be 'better', but it is also unwise, as it is easy to lose your footing.

However if you visit a Harley dealer you will see the staff wheeling bikes around from in front, as you describe, although that is not anything I would try or recommend. I've been wheeling my umpteen pound Glide from beside it for 26 years and other bikes for almost 50, it seems you have some catching up to do!

Old 06-28-2016, 04:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by 2013superglideseattle
Hey! GRbrown. You should retract this statement. I've read most of your comments and statements, they are all good and make sense. Except this one! I dont think this is you.
Thanks for the compliment, but it does not make sense to back up while sitting on a bike, especially a heavy one. Check bike training courses.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:21 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Admittedly, when I push my bike into my driveway, I get off and push it into position. But say, backing into my parking spot at work, five feet or so, I stay on the bike and work it in.
As to the OPs approach to lowering his bike, how much is that supposed to lower the bike.
I approached the need to get closer to the ground two ways - had mean city modify my saddle and it provided about 1-1.5 inches and lowered my shocks 1 inch.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:25 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Nope, you wheel it from beside it. You've apparently never done a bike training course. Try pushing it backwards up a slope while sitting on it. If you've been backing up like that from day 1 I can understand why you think it may be 'better', but it is also unwise, as it is easy to lose your footing.

However if you visit a Harley dealer you will see the staff wheeling bikes around from in front, as you describe, although that is not anything I would try or recommend. I've been wheeling my umpteen pound Glide from beside it for 26 years and other bikes for almost 50, it seems you have some catching up to do!
Unfortunately you did NOT quote my ENTIRE message. I stated I do understand standing on the side of the bike.
However you stated this, "Get off it and push it backwards". You may have meant something else, but to "Push it backwards", key words being PUSH and backwards. To "Push" the bike "Backwards" you would need to stand in front of the bike.
You could "Pull" the bike backwards, and maybe that is what you meant.

Last edited by eaglefan1; 06-28-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-28-2016, 07:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Unfortunately you did NOT quote my ENTIRE message. I stated I do understand standing on the side of the bike.
However you stated this, "Get off it and push it backwards". You may have meant something else, but to "Push it backwards", key words being PUSH and backwards. To "Push" the bike "Backwards" you would need to stand in front of the bike.
You simply take the word 'push' too literally. When did you last see someone do it the way you describe?!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:32 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

NEVER. Thats why I said it would be disappointing. I took what you wrote as what you meant.
No worries

Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Really guys, now we are going to debate how to back up a bike? It doesn't matter one bit. Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable and in control of the machine. I've been riding since 1980, have taken the riders course, and personally I feel much more stable with a wide stance and a leg on either side of the bike. There's no right or wrong to it.

What's next? "don't get off the right side of the bike because someone says so"

Sorry to the OP for this topic getting hijacked.

Last edited by Sturgis67; 06-28-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Lowering