Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:23 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

This is a great question and has been talked a lot about - everyone seems to have their favorites - I too want a better front end, I have read till I am blue in the face, Still I am not convinced to fork out all the $$$ - I bought the Low, after 200 miles, pulled the front forks and rear shocks.. (rear was a LOT easier) I went with Works performance on the rear and very happy so far. Had them on my 04 for 10 years and they worked fine for us... Now the front... I have read, studied emailed and talked to so many people. I was about to pull the trigger on the Axeo but after talking to a few people, lowered the front and still firm - but they liked that..
on my front, I took the LOW forks - wrapped them in a towel and stored them in my closet.
went on Ebay - got two take off lowers for $40 shipped - had them chromed and got the internal from Boardtracker HD - got the springs from Progressive - just the spring kit... its OK and better than stock but still not to my liking.. One of the biggest issues is Labor for the front.. I can take the forks off no problem - actually pretty easy but I still have to pay my Indy to take them apart and 'Try' something else - lot of work and money just to try something.. The Axeo installed will be a LOT of Money and I am Not convinced it would be worth it...
Please, change my mind, lol

Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Longridertx
I'm running the Legend Axeo standard height on my 15 Ultra and so far love them. Couldn't afford the Ohlin fronts. I have Ohlin #3-3 on the rear and they seem to work well together. You can get the Axeo from Iron Aces for less than the $750 posted on most sites and they are good people to deal with.
you must have caught a sale... they are listed on their web site at $749,95

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/leg...-davidson-flh/

Old 06-26-2016, 10:30 PM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm running the Legend Axeo standard height on my 15 Ultra and so far love them. Couldn't afford the Ohlin fronts. I have Ohlin #3-3 on the rear and they seem to work well together. You can get the Axeo from Iron Aces for less than the $750 posted on most sites and they are good people to deal with.
I wonder how the Axeo compare to Progessives. Anyone have experience with each? Certainly sounds like the Axeo are a viable option.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm running the Legend Axeo standard height on my Ultra. I have Ohlin #3-3 on the rear
Same here, except I just installed the Axeo and the bike is still on the jack. lol

Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley0711
One of the biggest issues is Labor for the front.. I can take the forks off no problem - actually pretty easy but I still have to pay my Indy to take them apart and 'Try' something else - lot of work and money just to try something.. The Axeo installed will be a LOT of Money and I am Not convinced it would be worth it... Please, change my mind, lol
If you can remove the forks, you can take them apart. Pretty simple actually. I just swapped to chrome lowers and installed the Axeo yesterday. Not as daunting of a task as I thought it would be.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:40 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

here is one link that made me stop and re-think

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...gend-axeo.html
here is another good read

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...touring-4.html

Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
If you can remove the forks, you can take them apart. Pretty simple actually. I just swapped to chrome lowers and installed the Axeo yesterday. Not as daunting of a task as I thought it would be.
agreed - I watched my Indy... what I do NOT have is a clamp to hold the upper tube so the top Allen can be taken out... Also - as you have learned - finding an allen to fit that top nut is a Bitch, lol and don't forget that bottom allen.. I now own those... Still on the fence with the Axeo.... I am learning more and more on suspension. for you how did you set your sag/preload?

Old 06-26-2016, 10:49 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin
I'd like to hear more about the Legend Axeo at $750. Wonder what it could do for the Ultra.
I put the Legend AXEO on my 2013 last year and in the twisty stuff the bike is fantastic and tracks perfect, and holds a line through the corners great.
It also basically eliminates front end dive under heavy braking.
FYI I have the standard length not lowered.

Last edited by ALUCARD19; 06-26-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley0711
what I do NOT have is a clamp to hold the upper tube so the top Allen can be taken out... Also - as you have learned - finding an allen to fit that top nut is a Bitch, lol and don't forget that bottom allen.. I now own those... for you how did you set your sag/preload?
I used the lower triple tree and pinch bolts as my clamp to break the top cap loose.

I ordered the top & bottom Allen sockets before I started this task (thanks to this forum)

For the preload, I took a happy medium of me solo (4 turns) & with 130lb wifey +gear (8 turns) and set it at 6 turns

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
I used the lower triple tree and pinch bolts as my clamp to break the top cap loose.

I ordered the top & bottom Allen sockets before I started this task (thanks to this forum)

For the preload, I took a happy medium of me solo (4 turns) & with 130lb wifey +gear (8 turns) and set it at 6 turns
So, have you ever measured your front sag??? meaning jack the bike with wheel off ground - measure your from your cow bell to a point... lower the bike get you and or both of you and re measure - how much sag?

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Upgrade