Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If your turn signals stop working normally -- that is to say, they won't cancel -- it indicates a speedometer sensor failure.

As mentioned above, you can try cleaning it first. Pull the sensor out of the opening in the transmission, it will probably have quite a few metal shavings on it. Clean them off and put it back in.

If that doesn't help, replace the sensor.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 PM
gilman1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Update

Replaced sensor, seems ok now. Routed new sensor wire a little different than original. Couldn't get connector past starter/trans after removing from harness, so I rerouted outside of starter. back through harness. Old connector is still somewhere between starter and trans. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:44 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Finally got the part and the time to make the switch and it was on the money. Thanks for the diagnostic help to all those who contributed.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:28 AM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try clean speed sensor....if that doesn't work replace it....easy job....I have a 2000 flhtpi and the same thing happened to me....I replaced mine and allspice good...

Old 08-24-2019, 04:03 PM
Pat Hamer
Intermediate
Default Failed Odometer

I'm a bit miffed. My 2005 Road King Speedo went dead. I bought a 314 dollar hd combination speetdo tach 79900010B, which is the correct speedo. It has simple installation instructions, however one of the requirement to install is to leave the old unit in the console, and hook the new one up to the data link, turn on the accy record the existing odometer reading, which don't work in cases where you have to replace the speedo not out of vanity. Then you turn on the motor start button and then the ignition, and it should record the odometer to the new speedo through the data port.

Well, that does not work. Nobody in the world anywhere on the planet earth doesn't know what to install the speedo, because if you speedo is broke, it will not install, you get a NO CAL followed by a NO SPD.

I know the speedo wiring is good, because another speedo lights up normally. My circuit board is fried.

I wish I knew what the fix is. The dealer remains obscure, wants me to pay them several hours just to find out.

Originally Posted by mrmud4x4
Is the bike running ok?

If it is, than it is probably not the speed sensor.

New speedo's from drag start at about $230 up to 500 or so.

The Harley ones run about 300 or so and up.

Ronnies Harley has a microfiche web page that will show all the parts for your year and model.

I do not believe the speedo on an 01 comes from the ECM so no flashing required.

If the bike is not running right, than the speed sensor may need replacing.

You may be able to find another speedometer on the forum or craigslist.

Also....may just need to pull the speed sensor out and clean it, check all plug connections.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Pat Hamer
Intermediate

Did you harley run rough also? Mine is running smooth, no stalls, so I don't think its the sensor.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:22 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat Hamer
I'm a bit miffed. My 2005 Road King Speedo went dead. I bought a 314 dollar hd combination speetdo tach 79900010B, which is the correct speedo. It has simple installation instructions, however one of the requirement to install is to leave the old unit in the console, and hook the new one up to the data link, turn on the accy record the existing odometer reading, which don't work in cases where you have to replace the speedo not out of vanity. Then you turn on the motor start button and then the ignition, and it should record the odometer to the new speedo through the data port.

Well, that does not work. Nobody in the world anywhere on the planet earth doesn't know what to install the speedo, because if you speedo is broke, it will not install, you get a NO CAL followed by a NO SPD.

I know the speedo wiring is good, because another speedo lights up normally. My circuit board is fried.

I wish I knew what the fix is. The dealer remains obscure, wants me to pay them several hours just to find out.
Rather difficult to read without spacing, paragraphs and such..probably using a smart phone instead of a real computer.
I took the time to read your post a few times in order to better understand.

Maybe this format will help others to better understand your situation too.

You have:
2005 Road King
Factory Speedometer is dead.
Circuit board in the speedometer is fried.
You bought a 314 dollar hd combination speedo tach 79900010B,
You attempted data link connection but according to you since OLD speedometer is not functional the process is a fail.
You get a NO CAL followed by a NO SPD ...You think it is due to OLD speedometer being non-functional.
I will take a guess this was with you conducting the process and not a dealer.

The message you get is NO CAL.
Per factory instructions if "The gauge displays NO CAL (no calibration). It will not function if it is installed before the odometer copying process is performed"

I would review data link connector to confirm wires are in correct orientation within plug.
I would look for a wiring diagram and confirm correct wire is in correct spot within data plug.

Based on description that you provided ​​​it reads like the data link is not actually connected.

I do not believe that a new speedometer gets data from old speedometer but instead it gets data from ECM.
The new speedometer gets married to ECM via data connector.

I do not have a speedometer plug in front of me but a quick online review showed that Data plug might have w/B, v/R, B, G/R colored wires.

Any chance at all that new speedometer is not being plugged into correct data plug or maybe a damaged data plug?
or
that one of the 4 wires in data plug is cut along the way or a wire is not energized with old speedometer removed.
or
that a fuse is disconnected or blown?

While wiring to speedometer could be OK the wires to data plug could be compromised.

Do not understand your next statement unless it was something that you were trying to discuss with dealer and they threw out a blanket statement...
"The dealer remains obscure, wants me to pay them several hours just to find out"
Guessing nobody tested data port functionality.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Pat Hamer
Intermediate

My harley wires at data link are g/r b grey green/ viol

On the date link chord the green and red on the bike corresponds to a blank non pinned empty connector hole. Three wires.

I plugged another speedo into the console plug, and it lights up with "Vin Er" in the odometer

So it has juice.

I don't think its VSS because it runs good I took it out and it didn't need cleaning. I was clean, I wiped it off.

My buddy has a speedo on his that is identical to my broken one. I am wondering If I put his on will it allow me to transfer my milleage off of the ECM. He has about 17k more miles on his, but isn't the speedo just a peripheral? It should be copying off the ECM I would ponder.
Originally Posted by im
Rather difficult to read without spacing, paragraphs and such..probably using a smart phone instead of a real computer.
I took the time to read your post a few times in order to better understand.

Maybe this format will help others to better understand your situation too.

You have:
2005 Road King
Factory Speedometer is dead.
Circuit board in the speedometer is fried.
You bought a 314 dollar hd combination speedo tach 79900010B,
You attempted data link connection but according to you since OLD speedometer is not functional the process is a fail.
You get a NO CAL followed by a NO SPD ...You think it is due to OLD speedometer being non-functional.
I will take a guess this was with you conducting the process and not a dealer.

The message you get is NO CAL.
Per factory instructions if "The gauge displays NO CAL (no calibration). It will not function if it is installed before the odometer copying process is performed"

I would review data link connector to confirm wires are in correct orientation within plug.
I would look for a wiring diagram and confirm correct wire is in correct spot within data plug.

Based on description that you provided ​​​it reads like the data link is not actually connected.

I do not believe that a new speedometer gets data from old speedometer but instead it gets data from ECM.
The new speedometer gets married to ECM via data connector.

I do not have a speedometer plug in front of me but a quick online review showed that Data plug might have w/B, v/R, B, G/R colored wires.

Any chance at all that new speedometer is not being plugged into correct data plug or maybe a damaged data plug?
or
that one of the 4 wires in data plug is cut along the way or a wire is not energized with old speedometer removed.
or
that a fuse is disconnected or blown?

While wiring to speedometer could be OK the wires to data plug could be compromised.

Do not understand your next statement unless it was something that you were trying to discuss with dealer and they threw out a blanket statement...
"The dealer remains obscure, wants me to pay them several hours just to find out"
Guessing nobody tested data port functionality.