Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Installing fork deflectors Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 AM
83redgt
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Question Installing fork deflectors Road King

I have been reading up on the fork deflectors, alot of guys here really like em so i went and got some HD ones, the threads ive read arent real clear on how they were installed, i have a 2016 Road King, here is my question, read the instructions, easy enough right? took acorn nuts off windshield mount first side, install and finger tighten nuts, hits eng guard, all i read says about how close they are to lower lights, i have all kinds of room but cant move forward enough to not touch guard and it does affect the turning radius alot, took back off, what am i doing wrong? or did the dealer give me the wrong ones, part number on box is correct for 2016 road king, another question does the curve of the shield face forward so they are rounded off fork outward or do they go on rounded side towards back?

Last edited by 83redgt; 07-10-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Flhr Rider
Cruiser
Received 180 Likes on 85 Posts

Rounded went in. Also get some fiber washers to keep chrome off chrome. I have a 2014 road King , installed them couple of months ago, I don't think they helped any, did notice more heat in the thigh area coming from the motor. Took them off yesterday,went on 200 mile plus ride, heat on thigh area was gone. I will leave them off. They are for sale if anyone is interested.

The following 2 users liked this post by Flhr Rider:
LoneWoolf (10-25-2016), sprintrps (10-25-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

you may have them backwards, hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails Question Installing fork deflectors Road King-20150903_171834.jpeg  
Old 07-10-2016, 12:38 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Another question does the curve of the shield face forward so they are rounded off fork outward or do they go on rounded side towards back?

On line pictures look like the roll forward. Which should give you more clearance with the crash bar.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Jackhole48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a pic that should help. The HD deflectors have plenty of adjustment to clear the crash bar. For mine; I had to loosen the acorn nuts on both sides, so I could rotate the fog light mounting bracket up a little. This gave me the clearance to rotate the wind deflectors forward as far as they would go, to clear the crash bar. For future reference, the plastic sleeves that the deflectors come in have little stickers on them. L is for "left" and R is for "right"

Attached Thumbnails Question Installing fork deflectors Road King-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Jackhole48; 07-10-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Could only get one pic to load, sorry
Old 07-10-2016, 04:25 PM
fireman on a RK
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some, box said they were to fit my 2002 RK. They did not. I put them on just before riding the bike to a job. I did not have time to adjust them, just bolted them in place as per the instruction sheet. When I backed the bike out of the garage, the deflectors banged into the crash bars. I bent the deflectors so there was clearance. Anyone interested is a pair of slightly bent deflectors? I though not, neither am I. They are back in the box.

Every thing else I got from HD fit. These did not.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:21 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Most of the HD wind deflectors are not

compatible if you have engine guards. You may notice the note in the accessories catalogue that states 'not compatible with' some other parts. It's so hard to keep track if they just use the part # if you add these things a few years apart. I have the 'moustache' engine guard and the wind deflectors hit well before the bars are at full stop. Kuryakyn has some nice plastic ones that have indentations in them for the regular guards.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:31 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

14 RK here and have the same lowers.
Not sure what the difference is but took me minutes to install and had no issues. They come close to the engine guard but never hit it.

I love these lowers, work great and would never be without them. I have had them on almost 2 years now. I do a lot of 80 MPH interstate and its nothing but smooth riding with them.

As far as the other post in here where the person uninstalled them, he is correct. They do change the air pattern a little bit and you may feel a little more heat BUT for me is was a godsend as my wife rides with me all the time and you need your passenger to be comfortable.

Once the HD lowers (fork deflectors) were installed, it did make my riding postion a little hotter but it took A LOT of heat off my passanger (wife), before that her leg was cooking, she was thrilled with the change and 1.5 years later still is, I still ask once in a while, never a complaint.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:36 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I put mine on in the winter and leave them off in warm weather. I mean, that's how they're designed to be used, right??

Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 PM
83redgt
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for all the input and pictures, that was the kicker yes i installed them backwards, thought they were miss labeled cause i thought the rounder part went forward, try again tomorrow, thanks again, Cliff

Quick Reply: Question Installing fork deflectors Road King