Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many Highway Miles in a Day?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Personally the 425-450 mile/day mark is where I switch from fine to worn out. I can and have done 500+ mile days but it really wears on me. I like 350-400. Of course it does depend on the roads, conditions etc. If possible I'd find an extra day and take it easy.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:06 PM
7roper7
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Just like running, some can't run 2 blocks, others run marathons. I can't / don't even try to run period.,Everyone is different. My butt and the rest of my body tolerate hours and hours and hours riding just fine. I ride horses for a living, sometimes sun up to sundown, so sitting in the saddle for long periods on a motorcycle is easy. Staying alert isn't an issue for me either, I love the challenge.

I've done 1200 miles in 23 hours several times. I ride to Asheville NC from Ft Worth at least once a year. Does not bother me. I get there and crash for about 10 hours then ride the area for 3 days, then ride back same as getting there. Did about same distance from Ft Worth to Vegas once. It was 100 degrees crossing the Hoover Damn and 29 degrees at sunrise in Amarillo. 71 degree swing in one day. 16 Saddle sore 1000s if I had ever bothered with documentation. I can't stand sitting around a hotel. 5 or 6 hours is 1/4 of a day.

just saying......we are all different. I just turned 60 and so far age hasn't factored in.

This is why I travel alone, my buddies put their bikes on a trailer if they go very far.

Last edited by 7roper7; 07-15-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:22 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

A few things I've learned about long-distance touring over many years...

450 miles a day, allows you a "leisurely" trip. You can stop for a few sights and still get in at a decent time. Back-to-back-to-back....450 mile days are quite do-able for long rides.

Knocking out 800-1,000 mile days is quite do-able, and gratifying even, but doing it on back-to back days gets tedious.

There are a lot of variations of this tactic, but my routine is to tackle a ride in 135-150 mile chunks. I can usually travel farther than that on a tank, but I make myself stop in this range, and it gives me a break every 2.5-3 hours. It also keeps me from inadvertently stretching my bike's range and then stressing about finding a gas station.

Even more important than that, when you do stop, keep it to no more than 15 minutes, tops. Gas, bathroom stop, drink of water, and go. You do that once, and you have 270-300 miles out of the way before lunch. Do it once after lunch, and you're in striking distance of a full day. You will feel better stopping briefly more frequently, than by taking long stops less frequently. Long gas stops are a bike-trip killer, and they sneak up on you. Suddenly it is 30 minutes later....

When planning your trip, use 50 miles/hour as your constant, and then decide how many hours you want to ride. Personally, I ride a lot faster than 50 mph, and I'm sure most everybody here does too, but over the years I've found that invariably, with stops along the way, my days work consistently averages out to 50 mph over the course of the day.

Last edited by GaJayhawk; 07-15-2016 at 02:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GaJayhawk:
Ron750 (07-15-2016), SpiderPig (07-16-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:36 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJayhawk
A...

When planning your trip, use 50 miles/hour as your constant, and then decide how many hours you want to ride. Personally, I ride a lot faster than 50 mph, and I'm sure most everybody here does too, but over the years I've found that invariably, with stops along the way, my days work consistently averages out to 50 mph over the course of the day.
I use 50 MPH too as I found the exact same thing as you did.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

No problem. I have done 1200 miles in under 24 hours, but that was one time, with lucky traffic, perfect weather all interstate. I was single, and she was cute.

Today - 600 miles is easy. Keep moving. Proper gear is helpful. I've set up all my bikes for hydration. On my dresser, it's a large drink of Gatorade type and one equal water. on other bikes its a camel back in my tank bag. Credit card at pump reduces time stopped. I eat breakfast, and at the end of the day a nice dinner. Snacks along the ride. I'm usually in a hotel by 6pm. hard to do unless solo. I've never been able to ride with more than two others and maintain a good average.

I have shown a few friends how to do it. Preparation is key. I have averaged 63 mph on interstates over 600+ mile trips. On back roads, I plan on 50 for a speed average.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 07-15-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i have microsoft streets and maps. i plugged in the mixingbowl (95&495)as the start point and denver as the end point. i had you riding starting @ 0700 and stopping around 1400 hrs. allowing you a 15 minute stop every 4 hrs (or whenever you top off) it plots out a route up 270 to 70 into denver. the first night puts you the other side of columbus at about 450 miles, the second night is west of st louis the third is about half way between kansas city and denver, the fourth is cruising into denver at 1130 am with a total of almost 1700 miles. so, you probably could do it quicker but it might be a butt burner. you ought to look into the iron butt qualification......lol. be careful. i ride the md and va beltway every day back and fourth to springfield ....i changed the specs to 7 hrs a day starting at 7 and ending at 1600 and it puts you there in three days. the first, just this side of Indianapolis, day two the other side of kansas city and day three into denver around 1430 or so. that puts you at about 580 -600 miles a day.
it can be a real challenge. stay sharp, ride safe.

Last edited by cass; 07-15-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:28 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jamess71
Sounds like a good plan to me. And you'll be able to color in a few more states on you Map sig picture.
hey guys, where do you get the map to color in where you've visited?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:13 PM
dart451
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been to Chicago and back to Southern NM a couple times. I average about 600 to 750 miles a day...

Old 07-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Google it, I picked mine up at a rally.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:42 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 7roper7
Just like running, some can't run 2 blocks, others run marathons. I can't / don't even try to run period., Everyone is different.
The question was asked as a newbie. But I agree with your statement. My riding buddy is unsafe, drowsy, after 6 hours while I have ridden from 7:00 AM to 10:30. Actually, as night falls I get reinvigorated. My riding buddy would have long ago ridden off the road. But, like you, I might make one telephone pole length in sneakers, but make the marathon on my bike. The advise I gave is for inexperienced touring riders. Mine was like most of the other advise. Take breaks before you feel you need them, stay hydrated, have fun. If planning to ride multiple days,pace yourself accordingly. If you burn yourself out early in the trip, it takes away a lot of the enjoyment on the second half.

Quick Reply: How Many Highway Miles in a Day?