Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight circuit breaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:53 PM
GreaseTrain
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight circuit breaker

I have a 95 Ultra. It has the Day Maker headlight as of a year ago. I noticed the volt meter on the inner fairing dipping while riding and realized headlight had gone out which I traced to the 15 amp breaker switch behind the headlight. I noticed the blue wire going into the fuse/breaker panel was fried. I've fixed it so there's a good connection to that breaker switch now. If I turn the bike to accessories, everything is good. If I start the bike up, things will be good for a little while or if I hit the throttle the headlight goes out immediately and that breaker switch starts flipping and getting hot along with the wires into it, front fender running light starts dimly flashing every couple seconds and we're back to the same problem.

The only lights on the bike that are possibly after market are the ones on the bottom of the passenger and rider floor boards, and they actually look like they were installed and wired up by HD and I can't find any tears or exposed wire that might be grounding out on the frame or mounts.

I think I need more of an electrical mind than mine to figure out what's going on here... I'm guessing that because everything works fine if the bike is on accessories without engine running, it's probably not a light wiring issue and instead something to do with the ignition, or starter or something related to the motor running??? I don't know. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:55 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

How are the extra lights hooked up? Is there a direct hit to the battery or are they wired into an existing system?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:56 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

Do you have the electrical manual or does anyone know if 2011 is the same? I have the 2011 manual.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:18 PM
GreaseTrain
Stage III

The extra lights are wired into the light system.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:20 PM
GreaseTrain
Stage III

I have the service manual and have looked through the electrical chapter and can't find anything in there helping me with my problem. The wiring schematic isn't really helping me either. I've followed it as best I could and nothing popped out that made me go, "oh, yeah that's probably where the problem is."

Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

Bad hi/low switch or relay?