Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-on slip-up Muffler mania

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:18 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

De-catted head pipe and stock mufflers. Sounds better than you would believe.

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (07-27-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:15 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts
Default 2002 wideglide with Cobra slip ons

I think they sound great when you hit the throttle but can run them quite leaving the neighborhood.

Last edited by wideglideCVO; 08-09-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I just went back to the stock pipes on my RK, the Slash Cuts sounded good at idle and just loping around town but were too much out on an all day ride at speed.

I think the stock HD mufflers sound really good.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:35 AM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I went with basic slash cut Screaming Eagle slip-ons that I picked up used on this forum. 49 state legal, much deeper and a little bit louder than stock. Sound great and they're easy to live with.

Last edited by vistavette; 07-21-2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Ste123
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neworldman
So, I read some reviews and looked around awhile and I ordered the DNA Megaphone mufflers. For me, they are WAY too loud. Rendering my stereo useless and basically causing nails to vibrate out of my neighbors roofs. I know this is a very subjective area here. But I'm looking to just get a bit more rumble than stock. I have an 05 Ultra FI with stage one AC. Any reasonable suggestions? My stealership says get Cobra slip on's. Any opinions would be appreciated. And if anyone needs some DNA Magaphones I'll make you a deal. Just want something slightly beefier than stock. Thanks.
Hi Newolderman, I to have the same problem, only had the DNA,s on for one day then changed back to the stock pipes. I have ordered Acoustafil PTX silencer packing which expands when the exhaust heat up and reduce high pitch tones. I shall up date when installed and tested.

Take care

Steve

Old 07-21-2016, 11:06 PM
turckster
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had the stock exh. pipes I had Rush mufflers on and it sounded ok. Not loud and overbearing. I installed Vance and Hines Dresser Duels and the mufflers were too loud for me-at cruise speeds it had a drone noise which would give me a head ache. I tried Klock Werks Super Saver mufflers and it sounded much better. Still kind of loud but it didn't have that drone at cruise speeds. I decided to try Supertrapp Fatshots and I really like these. They have a good ballsy tone and I can hear the radio at cruise speeds. Plus they are adjustable- super quiet to fairly loud.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 AM
Neworldman
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to tell you, day 2 of Road King mufflers and I'm pretty much going to keep them. They really sound great, and I feel even more throttle response than stock. Really a complete surprise. FYI.

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (07-27-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I just got back from a ride with a buddy.He has cobra slip ons and they sound awesome.There 4" and then flare out to 4.5"s.He never knew what they were.Ive been looking at so many options lately I told him what they are.I knelt down and looked at the inside of the pipe and there was the name Cobra.The dealer put them on the wrong sides.There not the ones that look like there being held up by rubber bands.Ive talked with cobra and they suggest the 909 for a quiet rumble.There priced good.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 AM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Idahokid
I just got back from a ride with a buddy.He has cobra slip ons and they sound awesome.There 4" and then flare out to 4.5"s.He never knew what they were.Ive been looking at so many options lately I told him what they are.I knelt down and looked at the inside of the pipe and there was the name Cobra.The dealer put them on the wrong sides.There not the ones that look like there being held up by rubber bands.Ive talked with cobra and they suggest the 909 for a quiet rumble.There priced good.
Per my previous post on this thread, I did indeed end up swapping with my buddy and I now have his Cobras. They are Cobra Race Pro 4 in Slip Ons...and yes they flare to 4.5 inch. They are incredible for touring as they quiet down with steady highway throttle. They have a nice deep tone without any "tinny" sound. They are definitely on the quiet side while cruising, with a low muffled deep sound. When you get on them, like most slip ons, they do have a bark. I'm not totally in love with that bark, but a huge deal with it factor comparable to having a slip on that never quiets down. I tour a lot and wanted a nice sound to my ear for that reason. These are good for that. I would compare the sound to a V&H OS 450 type of sound. My basis of comparison is to 4" RC Components (which I loved and never should've sold) and my recent experiment with the RC Component 4.5 inch, which were sexy at idle and around town, yet never had a quiet down moment in their life. I couldn't tour with that. I'm not looking to hate my life after 400 miles of exhaust drone and tractor noise. But that said, it's a love hate relationship because that RC Component 4.5 inch sound is incredibly intimidating and awesome....again though, for around town. You can't have both worlds I suppose. I choose the touring mode for now.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:11 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

From what I have read it sounds like;
If you get a newer set of stock pipes (bikes with a CAT) they will give you a little better sound without over kill noise.
If that is true then anything from 2010 and newer, correct?

Quick Reply: Slip-on slip-up Muffler mania