Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voice activation for rider to passenger

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:39 PM
kodak86
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice activation for rider to passenger

Hi
I recently purchased a left over 2015 Electra Glide Ultra Low. The bike does not come with a push to talk modular for the driver. The passenger has one.
I am told that the mike turns on and off by voice activation. Does anyone have any experience with setting the mike so I don't have to scream into it to activate it. My 07 had the handlebar button and life was good.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

My guess is up the mike gain in the intercom set up.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:29 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

On my 2016 RGU I have the VOX control set at the halfway point. ((O))

Old 07-22-2016, 01:32 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I really very much depends on how you ride: open helmet, 3/4 helmet (with shield down or up), the speed you travel - you will need to adjust, as was already said, the microphone gain. In your case I would start with the bike not running and make it work in that situation. Then you can tinker with it when riding.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:39 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

....no push to talk, that sucks. i have a 2013 flhtk but its in the intercom set up.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Keep adjusting the VOX setting- too sensitive and the intercom opens with wind and engine noise, especially as you speed up. Not sensitive enough and you have to talk loudly to get it to activate. Make sure to put the mic right in front of your mouth. I set mine so that wind noise doesn't activate it at speeds up to 80 mph, that's about as fast as I ride. Going slower, just have to talk right into the mic.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought the newer Limited's had CB radios. I know a friend's 2014 does. I would think that would require a push to talk button??

Bill

Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes they have CB's and PTT button on the right side is just for that, the intercom is voice activated and has stated the VOX has to be adjusted for riding conditions. The key to getting right is to ensure the mic is direction in front of the mouth, like riding on the lower lip, if not then communication becomes difficult. I constantly have to remind the wife to put the mic to her mouth when talking, otherwise it breaks up and if I turns the sensitivity up then it starts picking up wind noise, just a balancing act once set it does work nicely.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Yes they have CB's and PTT button on the right side is just for that, the intercom is voice activated and has stated the VOX has to be adjusted for riding conditions. The key to getting right is to ensure the mic is direction in front of the mouth, like riding on the lower lip, if not then communication becomes difficult. I constantly have to remind the wife to put the mic to her mouth when talking, otherwise it breaks up and if I turns the sensitivity up then it starts picking up wind noise, just a balancing act once set it does work nicely.
The PTT can be used for the intercom if the sensitivity is turned all the way down. All you need to do is make sure the CB is off. My wife and I do this when there is a lot of wind and we are riding 2 up and no other bikes with us. Downside is if you forget to turn the CB off your "private" conversation goes out over whatever channel you are on.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:10 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

The OP has an Ultra Low so it should not have a CB unless one was added by the dealer. The Limited comes with a CB.

Quick Reply: Voice activation for rider to passenger