Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 MPH for 100 plus miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:25 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I would love to ride to work more. I work just off the Capitol Beltway. Even at 5:30 in the morning, I don't ride it. I will take secondary highways and do 75-80, but there are too many A-holes on the beltway.... even at that time..... And don't get me started about the afternoon. I do ride on an occasional Thursday, when I get off at 2:30. I can beat most of the nimrods home before they get off work. As much as I love riding, as I have done it for over 35 years, there very well may come a time when I can't compete and won't risk it against the arrogant and selfish A-holes.
Hate Work, what part of the beltway do you work off of. i work in springfield and commute from calvert county about 52 miles one way. i don't find the beltway too bad, you just have to have your head on a swivel. i have 2 lane express way almost all the way to the beltway then the beltway to springfield just south of the mixing bowl at belvoir. working for the gubment, i can be in at 0400 hrs and leave at 1400 so that gets me in and out before traffic builds, especially in the morning. deer are my main problem at that time. getting up at 0215 sucks though.....ride safe.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:38 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Cossack84
Your head whacking a guard rail at 75 mph will feel same as 90 mph. You have a death wish just getting on two wheels period.

OP, yep, bike feels right at home running 90-95 mph, nice and smooth, bums dont seem as bad and just feel right.
Exactly

Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

85-90 FOR 350-450 ON THE MONTANA and Idaho interstates posted speed limit is 80 smooth as can be...slow to 65 and it feels like i stopped

Old 07-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
Hate Work, what part of the beltway do you work off of. ..... deer are my main problem at that time. getting up at 0215 sucks though.....ride safe.
I am over by Annapolis. The only issue is I95 and the Capitol Beltway between I95 and Bethesda. The lanes are narrow with no shoulders. At 4:30 when I leave, the traffic is already like rush hour. So I take secondary highways and come in Georgia Avenue. Yes, plenty of deer. My running lights help to see their eyes. Have come close but lucky so far I guess. I would ride more but by the time I get off after 3, the A-holes are out in full force. No enjoyment in riding around them. Good thing I work for the DoD and can't carry. If I was, I swear I might have shot a few by now.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:01 PM
BigUglyMan
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by THE PEG
To the critics, there are some places in this country where you have to move at that speed on the slab. Or, you will get run over.
That's the truth! I just got back from my first ever "road trip" and it wasn't much by comparison. Blasted down to the In-Laws' place in Cape Breton for the weekend to hang out with the wife and kids who went visiting. Left after work on Wednesday and it was a gentle putt to the city. Left the next morning and pulled onto Nova Scotia Highway 102 at Enfield and it was like a damned stampede. I thought all the cagers commuted the opposite way and I would be in for a nice easy ride. Not so. Had to run 85MPH to avoid becoming a hood ornament. Fortunately it was only about 40 miles before I passed Truro and everything calmed down. But she ran along nicely for a 21 year old bike. Actually, the biked fared out better than I did...my *** is not happy with me and my upper back is a bit stiff. Four nights of sleeping in different beds probably didn't exactly set me up for success in that department.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:01 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

A backrest does wonders for speeds like that, not to mention a full face helmet. One speck of debris in one of your eyes and you'll be dispatched in short order. Bikes love that speed don't they?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 PM
miles miles miles
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year the wife and I rode out west and while heading to the salt flats we kept it at 100-105 for most of the trip westward.. Still got pasted twice.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Once you pass the center of the country going west 85-90 is not an unusual pace.
After hours it take its toll with the buffeting especially if there is a strong head or side wind. Makes for a long day on a touring bike, you should try it on a KLR.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:27 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
about Junction and continuing to nearly El Paso (about 600 miles).
It's only 440 miles from Junction to El Paso. When I read that i thought it was off because the beltway and I 10 on Houston's east side is mile marker 781. I thought no way in is Junction only 180 miles from Houston's east side.

I'm lucky as my commute to work is almost all back roads. I've still gone 90+ on one occasion because a cager wouldn't get off my ***. I got around two or three vehicles in front of me and wicked it down to 75. The bike was quite stable at 90. On a safe road without cops and close gas stations I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 PM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Come here to the OK and ride like that. The wind here is ridiculous sometimes. Being a new rider, I have no problem in the slow lane doing a touch over the speed limit. You don't need to ride like a maniac to keep that cool image intact.

Quick Reply: 90 MPH for 100 plus miles